Should I get "a bundle" or S4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I get "a bundle" or S4?

I am planning to buy some new hardware for myself. And I need your opinion guys. Here are my options that I've came up with:

1)Numark MixTrack+ NI DJ2+ Kontrol X1
    2)Traktor Kontrol S4

I am also opened to other options. If you have one please let me hear your suggestion.

Thank You

P.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have an S4 and an X1, absolutely love them together. The S4 hardware software combo will blow the Mixtrack out of the water.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

What about something out of Vestax product line?
    For a beginner like me (im not saying im a total noob), would something out of vestax product line and maybe x1...would do it?
    or should I "Go Big or Go Home" and buy S4? ...
    I did hear S4 had problems. But I also S4 for beginners would give a lot of room for improvement.
    So...ideas, comments, suggestions?
    Last edited by Pyliokas; 11-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quote: I did hear S4 had problems.

All new gear has start up problems especially when software is included.

even the big players: pioneer, denon, xone go read the forums and they will all show up with problems in the first few months.

I think the s4 is the future for now when you wanna play with traktor. They will build their software on this system for the coming years. And in time they will include timecode.

Hope this helps, Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    Quote: I did hear S4 had problems.

All new gear has start up problems especially when software is included.

even the big players: pioneer, denon, xone go read the forums and they will all show up with problems in the first few months.

I think the s4 is the future for now when you wanna play with traktor. They will build their software on this system for the coming years. And in time they will include timecode.

Hope this helps, Thomas
    Thanks Thomas. It does help. I am having hard time deciding. All the bad stuff I heard about it, but I guess you are right that new products usually do even if its pioneer, denon, etc. Get a bundle and spend less money, or go big and get the newest products in the market. I am not planning on scratching, because I mainly play house music so...in the future maybe I'll add X1 to S4, hope it will compliment each other. If you have any other suggestions or comments do not hesitate . Thanks again.
    Last edited by Pyliokas; 11-14-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyliokas View Post
    Thanks Thomas. It does help. I am having hard time deciding. All the bad stuff I heard about it, but I guess you are right that new products usually do even if its pioneer, denon, etc. Get a bundle and spend less money, or go big and get the newest products in the market. I am not planning on scratching, because I mainly play house music so...in the future maybe I'll add X1 to S4, hope it will compliment each other. If you have any other suggestions or comments do not hesitate . Thanks again.
    Honestly "all the problems" aren't really a big problem, unless you're unlucky like I am and get a lemon. Which I took back to GC when their second shipment came in, and my new S4 is fine (but I still had to re-calibrate, and put on the top of the jog wheel properly).

Here are the problems I encountered and have seen the others talk about on the forums. The jog wheels top plate usually will come off when you first open the S4 out of the box, which takes all of 20 seconds to fix if you don't know what you're doing. Photojojo uploaded a video on how to fix it, which will take you all of 10 seconds to get it fixed. The other problem is the wheel calibration, which is so self explanatory to fix, once you select the option that should only take you another 30 seconds to re-calibrate the wheels once.

I'm a total beginner, and after doing some research and gathering input I decided to just "make it easy on myself" by picking up an S4 instead of a smaller controller, good software, and having to upgrade it little later (Although this is a very very viable option). I was just in love with the S4 after watching Shiftee's video that was out.

Anyway I hope I helped even a tiny tiny little bit! There really are a lot of viable options for each price range! I hope you get what you're looking for!

- Coldfuzion

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The S4 was designed for the beginner and the pro alike. Seriously it is your BEST option. And as far as problems go you can't really judge what you read on the internet. All the people that are having no problems at all just don't log in to the forums to say hi to Karlos and that they love their S4's that have no problems whatsoever. Plus many of the threads that start out as problems end up being user error.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

How much do you want to spend and what do you already have?

If you already have Traktor then getting a VCI-100 and Audio 2 soundcard would be great. There's a bunch for sale on here from guys getting the S4. Think about this --- there's LOTS of DJ's on this site that have been jamming on the VCI for quite some time now. There's pleny of awesome things you can do with it and plenty of room to grow. AND it wouldn't cost you much money.

If you don't have anything and you have 899.00 laying around then get the S4, you won't need to upgrade anytime soon and it's a solid piece of equipement.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    How much do you want to spend and what do you already have?

If you already have Traktor then getting a VCI-100 and Audio 2 soundcard would be great. There's a bunch for sale on here from guys getting the S4. Think about this --- there's LOTS of DJ's on this site that have been jamming on the VCI for quite some time now. There's pleny of awesome things you can do with it and plenty of room to grow. AND it wouldn't cost you much money.

If you don't have anything and you have 899.00 laying around then get the S4, you won't need to upgrade anytime soon and it's a solid piece of equipement.
    Well I do have TSP, but I did not buy it (if you catch my drift )...so I don't know would you consider that having a Traktor at all. And as far as money goes, I can let myself spend 899.00, but saving money is also a good option.

Tech Guru

well one thing to consider is if you spend money now on something, are you gonna out grow it and spend money on something else down the road. Then it costs you more.

The S4 is awesome. For 899.00 straight up it can't be beat right now.

If your trying to save some cash, go the VCI route. You would eventually want to buy a Traktor Pro lic. so you can have the proper updates and NI support. It's just a more stable product if you've bought it. I'm sure you can get a VCI-100, Audio 2 and TP license used for at least 200.00 less than the S4.

So it's tough call. Do you wanna save a few hundred bucks or go all out. I don't think either option is a bad one in your shoes.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast