Looking for the best PC to DJ with

Default Looking for the best PC to DJ with

I know many will say get a Mac, but that is my absolute last option. I had an HP that took a poo not even near the 2 years I've had it. I am opting to put Traktor on it as well as Ableton. Any suggestions on a good PC, as well as memory (will 4 gigs suffice my 16,000 + counting music files)?
    Much thanks all.

.nicolatron.

Tech Guru

Well, if you can afford it:

http://web.eurocom.com/

Ultimate in customisable overkill. Look at the Panther, up to 24GB RAM...

But really, anything dual core 2+ghz and 2gig+ RAM will be fine. SSD hard disk if you can afford it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

<<Deleted>>
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Definitly opt for a solid state drive but what maxted said should suffice. I prefer Dell because I still have active laptops with over 5 years of use.

+1 for the Dell Latitude series.

I've also got a small form factor Dell Optiplex 755 for the studio.

and don't forget the Thinkpads... i have an older R51 that runs Traktor flawlessly.

How about a simple custom build, way more bang for your buck...Also not that difficult to put together

I've got a HP dv7, and in the time I've had it (almost 3yrs) I've never had any issues with it running Traktor. In the beginning all I did was shut everything else off except for Traktor, do some PC optimization and I was fine.

I'm running a now old 2.0Ghz, 4Gb Ram, 320HDD.

I'll upgrading next yr to a Mac (finally) but if you want to go the PC route you should check out HP.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Student

toshiba satalite series L355
    3gb memory 2.16 ghz 32-bit windows vista

i dj 6 nights with video with no problems.
    dj david jones
    full time club jock

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Definitly opt for a solid state drive but what maxted said should suffice. I prefer Dell because I still have active laptops with over 5 years of use.
    yeah, I chose a dell adamo and they only come w/ a solid state drives. I could have bought a top of the line macbook pro w/ my scholarship money, but since running a dvs w/ midi controllers does not demand high cpu power a decent but dependable dell was the most feasible choice and got to save money.

I would say getting a luxury laptop w/ ssd and decent amount of power and not overclocking the computer. I have multiple computers, so i would recommend to not use ur laptop too much in order to keep it reliable and not wear it out so it could last longer.

I would not get an Hp, Ive had one burn out the motherboard after 7 months of light use due to ventilation problems... then burn out again a few months later when the warranty went out. I saw that HP's Envy series are aimed at Dj's but what good is having a laptop w/ 6 gig ram or 4 gig memory when they wear out quick ( w/ cheap hardware). Even if Dr. Dre endorses that shit.

Luxury laptops are slightly underpowered but are built better w/ upscale hardware, longer warranty, good looking design, upgraded customer service, etc... The cheapest ones in the market are The dell Adamo (since theyre discontinued) and macbook 13''... ive owned both so i cant say about others, but i would recommend this specific dell as cost effective alternative.

I would stay away from a laptop that has 4g of ram and memory that costs under $1000. Usually good computers cost way more for that power. A "mobileworkstation" w/ those specs usually cost more money.
    Last edited by bryan350; 11-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.