Interactive DJing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interactive DJing

Inspired by Moldover I tried this out this last Sunday at a gig and it went really well. I would love to get y'all's opinions and possibility other ideas on how to explore this method.

Long story short, I got some guys to start a freestyle circle with some good ol' Dubstep and had one of the better rappers come over to the booth. I gave the guy my ipad with OSC, which had 4 cues (quantized and led to different loops set on the track), a delay kill to emphasize finishes in the freestyle, and an xy pad to screw with the wireless mic I had the guys using.

I'm trying to get some other methods rolling where I can have the audience more involved in my sets, next is a KP3 I just ordered for letting the peeps chop up the music with no talent at all.

Any one else try this out or have ideas?
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

is a KP3 really easy enough for people under the influence with no experience to use? I don't know if I would trust random people with my equipment. What about using one of those dance pad things for an xbox, you could map that to some things in what software you use to achieve something similar?

Sounds pretty cool! I don't know about letting people wander off with my expensive toys, though. Maybe mount stuff to the front of the booth so the audience can play without you having to worry about things getting dropped or spilled on?

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibarry View Post
    is a KP3 really easy enough for people under the influence with no experience to use? I don't know if I would trust random people with my equipment. What about using one of those dance pad things for an xbox, you could map that to some things in what software you use to achieve something similar?
    turn a dance matt into a midi controller and assign hot cues to it
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Yea, I have a stand for my iPad I make them keep it on, and I'll set the KP3 to a preset and just let them use the XY pad. A mount is a good idea, although my setup has to be adjustable if I'm sharing the table with another DJ. -.- Can always create a frame of sorts though... O.O

Edit: I was thinking a guitar hero controller dedicated to Work it, make it, do it, renegade, power to the ppl, etc. But a Dance pad would be interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    turn a dance matt into a midi controller and assign hot cues to it
    That is a SICK idea. Not too often though, the results might not be too great...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    That is a SICK idea. Not too often though, the results might not be too great...
    It would be awfully hard to get anything rhythmic out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    It would be awfully hard to get anything rhythmic out of it.
    quantized?
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minimal View Post
    quantized?
    Maybe just map parts of a drumloop on the fourth deck to it AND make them quantized.

I'm thinking about trying the dancemat thing on one of the next DJTT-events.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Hrm... That would be cool. HedgeHog, if I get the opportunity, so let me know if you end up doing it. By rhythmic I mean it's easier for someone to push a button than to use a dance pad... Just gotta pick the right song if it's not in ableton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast