...in just 10 years...I am speaking, of course, about djing and, specifically,digital djing. I was discussing this with my former dj partner the other day-we got into djing in the late '90s and dj'd solely with cds-first with single deck cd players and a really shitty mixer from the '80s, then with an american dj dual cd player and gemini mixer, before graduating to the denon 2600 and a rane rackmount.

for a few years djing took a big-time backseat, through many years of schooling, work, marriage, etc. In my basement i now rock my own dual denon, denon rackmount, mackies and technics. but, having just gotten into digital djing in the past year, i am a total noob all over again. and, yes, i have already upgraded from the 100SE to the S4. Having gone through all of that to just now arrive at the S4, it is kind of a head trip when i read about some kids just now stepping into djing and their first piece of kit is the S4 (jealous!...kind of...)...

It amazes me how far this branch of djing has come in just about 10 years. when i first heard about torq a few years ago (that was the first digital system one of my friends had) i admit, i scoffed. "Dude," I said, "he's not even matching the beat himself, so what? anybody could do that." but now, i have also embraced the technology. and it is simply exploding, with software and hardware upgrades coming at a blistering pace. A brief example is the new wave of 4 channel controllers-6 months ago i dont even think there was one out-at least not a popular one-now they are all the rage and seem like they are dominating the controller scene; and at least the controller discussion. I am very excited to see what comes next.....