S4 + Korg NanoKontrol or an LPD8 or a NanoKontrol Arcade?
    Tech Guru

Default S4 + Korg NanoKontrol or an LPD8 or a NanoKontrol Arcade?

I'm still waiting to sell my current kit before I buy the S4, but I'm also thinking what should be the proper complementing controller.

Generally, an LPD8 appears to be a great addition, as it would give me full control over FX3&4 or sample slots volume or filter (one at a time). Additionally, the size make it perfect to be placed in front of the S4, without impacting the access to the knobs and phones connector on the fron right side.

I also think that the Korg NanoKontrol has better functionally, but unfortunately not as solid. It would give simultaneous access to all 8 sample decks' volume & filter controlls. It also has controlls to duplicate (and extend) the Loop recorder. It total NanoKontrol has 9 knobs, 9 faders and 24+1 assignable buttons. Each of the buttons is backlit and there is a total of 28 lights. I think it's amazing, just if it was more solid.

Both these units cost 1/4 of the price of an X1 and both are good additions for the S4.

What I'm also thinking is to get a NanoKontrol, rebox it and install arcade buttons instead of the stock rubber ones. Initially, I could use the stock faders & knobs but could later upgrade to a higher quality ones, if the stock are not good enough (very likely).

What do you think?

Would it be worth to make a DYI controller based on a NanoKontrol?

Is the NanoKontrol suitable for such customization?

Is it at all worth to think of such customization or the NanoKontrol would be good enough as is?
    Last edited by loop; 11-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Tech Guru

here's a link with hi-res photo of the inside of the NanoKontrol
    http://charlesmartin.posterous.com/u...rg-nanokontrol

it really looks suitable for customization with Arcade Buttons ...

you would have to build a new case for it - but I think it should work.

Tech Guru

yup, that was what i meant with "rebox".

after some searching in the forum, I saw some a very nice projects based on the nanoKontrol (Kudos Str8upDrew!):
    http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20461
    http://fakemoneynyc.blogspot.com/201...-blown-at.html
    Last edited by loop; 11-17-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Tech Mentor

I thought about this (even made a thread) but haven't tried it yet. Ultimately the buttons are your problem. the little contacts will need to be carefully broken so you end up with + on one and ground on the other. I've got notes at home on it, but iirc the inside zig-zags match each other and the same for the outside.

Also I don't know what heat they solder the pots/faders on is but my shitty 20w soldering iron wouldn't melt it no matter how long I held it down.

And the leds are board mount and can't be re-wired. PLUS they aren't midi-out they only light up from the nanokontrols internal board logic.

Tech Guru

No need to unsolder the faders/knobs, just break them apart:
    http://fakemoneynyc.blogspot.com/201...-blown-at.html

About the leds, I actually don't need them all. I will be just fine with the 4leds indicating the banks/modes. Hope they can be re-wired at least.

Tech Mentor

but... but all those nice knobs and faders!
    I'm really keen on not breaking them all up, they should come off with enough heat.