Do I need a soundcard for this upgraded set-up?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Do I need a soundcard for this upgraded set-up?

So I am wanting to get into using CDJs. The ones in my budget I was looking at and reading about were the Numark NDX 400s. In addition, the mixer I was looking at is the Xone 42.

I would then get rid of my controller (still keeping the midifighter of course) and run off of that.

I am confused about my soundcard though....

1. If I were to continue to use Traktor, I would need to upgrade to Scratch and also purchase timecode cds correct? I would also need to upgrade my soundcard to a 4 channel right?

2. With this mixer and it's effects, I could also lose Traktor altogether and just run burned MP3 cds through the Numarks...eliminating a laptop alltogether. Do I need also need a soundcard if this is the route I am going to take, or do the CD players plug directly into the mixer as well as my speakers?

Upgrading my soundcard is pricy, and I am hoping that #2 will allow me to not need one at all...at the expense of losing Traktor though.

Thank you!
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think the 42 is Traktor Scratch certified so you'll need at least and Audio 4 to run two CDJ's. With the price of TSP right now though I think that would be the best choice and you'll get the Audio 8 with it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

What if I were not to run any software at all, no laptop? Just simply the mixer and the two CDJs...would I still need a soundcard?
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    What if I were not to run any software at all, no laptop? Just simply the mixer and the two CDJs...would I still need a soundcard?
    no, cdjs directly via rca into the mixer and you're golden.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    no, cdjs directly via rca into the mixer and you're golden.
    And as far as my speakers go? They also just directly plug into my mixer using the same input that I am currently using in my Audio 2DJ for them?
    KRK RP8sFG

That depends what speakers you're using..?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Well I'm using laptop speakers at the moment, but have the correct adapter which allows them to fit into the Audio 2.

Logitech Z4s if it matters.

After looking at the rear, I don't think I could use them...is there an adapter or way around this?
    Last edited by Gryz; 11-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    KRK RP8sFG

The Audio 2 uses balanced outs doesn't it?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

I believe so. I edited my post right before you replied...have a look at the pic.
    KRK RP8sFG

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

stereo 1/4 = mono balanced

so you can just output a balanced pair, correct me if i'm wrong please

back on the post, if you use only cdj+mixer you don't need a soundcard.
    if you are planning to plug your logitech speakers to the mixer then why not using the booth or record outputs? I'm pretty sure they won't benefit from balanced audio. you can't connect speakers into INPUTS (well, actually you can't but you won't get any sound) because they need to be feeded with an audio source, not the other way around)

so, if you want to control traktor with your cd players you need to route them through an audio 4/8DJ and then the soundcard into separate mixer inputs, speakers connect to the mixer's out.
    with your current soundcard you could use the cd players on 2 channels and plug the audio2dj (with traktor) into the other two as well. again, speakers connected to the mixer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6lFLMDE7E
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-19-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast