Do I need a soundcard for this upgraded set-up? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post

I know most here use a DVS software, but is it common occurance to mix without a laptop like this and usee just your knowledge of your songs?
    well, people mixed that way for over 30 years...

1/4 TRS cable can be either Mono Balanced, or Stereo unbalanced. In the case of the Audio 2 DJ, it's actually stereo unbalanced.
    You can definitely use the cds without any laptop and plug the cdj's right into the mixer. To use traktor with the cdj's you are going to need an Audio 4 or 8.
    Like Padi mentioned, you can have your 2 cdjs playing on 2 channels, and then have traktor w/ the audio 2 hooked up to the other 2 channels on the mixer.

Another option than the Audio 4/8, would be to save a little more money and get something like the Numark NDX800's. They are cdjs and midi controllers. That way you could use them to control traktor without timecode cd's, and just use your audio 2.

DDM4000 for a mixer I think would be your best option.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Another option than the Audio 4/8, would be to save a little more money and get something like the Numark NDX800's. They are cdjs and midi controllers. That way you could use them to control traktor without timecode cd's, and just use your audio 2.
    I was actually looking at those as well. They're not too much more and have a whole mess of effects. And the Audio2 is all I would need with them to still run Traktor? And the only way I would need to upgrade to Scratch Pro is if I run timecode?

As for the mixer, that is still up in the air, but I do like the pioneer. But that could change.

Basically I am trying to get rid of midi functionality though. I want the pitch faders to be much more accurate (reason for CDJs instead of my controller) and jog wheels to beat match. Will I still accomlish this if I still run Traktor, or are my pitch faders on my CDJ going to be as non high-res as the ones on my controller if running Traktor with them?
    Last edited by Gryz; 11-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

I was actually looking at those as well. They're not too much more and have a whole mess of effects. And the Audio2 is all I would need with them to still run Traktor? And the only way I would need to upgrade to Scratch Pro is if I run timecode?

As for the mixer, that is still up in the air, but I do like the pioneer. But that could change.
    You wouldn't need timecodes as the NDX800s are midi.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Since they are midi though, am I losing functionality in my pitch faders of the NDX800? Basically what I don't know is, since they are midi, are my pitch faders now as well? Will they not be as accurate, like my controller is now? It's damn near impossible to beat match with them.

And would TPRO allow me to scratch with them?

Edit: After watching some videos, it seems like the pitch resolution is dependant on Traktor. And from what I know, it's fader is not that accurate, even after adjusting the parameters of it. So when this relates relates back to the NDX800 through midi, it too loses a lot of it's accuracy.

What a freakin tough decision. I would love to keep Traktor, but without it, it seems I can beatmatch better without it, or is this a completely wrong misconception I have?
    Last edited by Gryz; 11-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    KRK RP8sFG

What a freakin tough decision. I would love to keep Traktor, but without it, it seems I can beatmatch better without it, or is this a completely wrong misconception I have?
    Have you setup your beatgrids properly...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAW8X9RSt7A

Yes, my beatgrids are spot on. I usually just sync and that works well enough for me.
    I am hitting midi limits when mixing 3 or 4 decks at once and notice a little bit of sound issues.

I want to learn to beatmatch and thought a CDJ would be perfect for that. The NDX800 has a pitch resolution down to 6% whereas Traktor only starts at 8%

Is it possible to still run traktor and use the midi of the NDX for just FX and not map the pitch fader...keeping the 6%?

I basically want an industry standard (I know these aren't pioneer CDJs) which would allow me to beatmatch and have some FX. Will using the CDJs as midi controllers give me any issues with this? Would I get better sound and performance using them without software? That is my question I guess.
    KRK RP8sFG

Well when you map the pitch fader to midi, it will negate the 6% setting and use whatever traktor is set for. However i'm not sure if the 800 has 7 bit or 14 bit pitch faders. If it's 14 bit then it should be fine to beatmatch on. However if it's 7 bit, then it will be rather jumpy and less accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Well when you map the pitch fader to midi, it will negate the 6% setting and use whatever traktor is set for. However i'm not sure if the 800 has 7 bit or 14 bit pitch faders. If it's 14 bit then it should be fine to beatmatch on. However if it's 7 bit, then it will be rather jumpy and less accurate.
    What is the bit rate on the industry standard pioneer CDJs?

When you say it will negate the 6% and go to what Traktor is set for, are you saying there will still be a difference in resolution with the 7 vs. 14 bit even when running on Traktor?
    KRK RP8sFG

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast