CDJ mode - could be the (kind of) answer to the Jog problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default CDJ mode - could be the (kind of) answer to the Jog problem

So before I go and put this suggestion in the box, I wanted to get a little discussion going, and see how many people would like to see a CDJ mode implemented into the controller.

CDJ mode (as it was called on the Pioneer CD decks the S4 got its inspiration from) is a way to disable to "vinyl mode" (or ability to press down and "grab" the track) so that the entire platter or jog acts as only pitch bend.

Do you think the S4 hardware/software had the capability to completely disable the top of the jog?

The reason why this would be a potentially very good (band-aide) solution is that it would prevent DJ's that purely mix and don't require scratching to air on the safe side of caution while playing. If the jog is having issues and freezing up because the jog thinks it's being held down, why not offer a way to remove the problem in the root? I could certainly live with this, and would be happily fine cue-ing up my track un-quantized with a midi-fighter (or the S4 cue buttons would work perfectly fine if you don't have one :P).

Anyone else able to live with that?

-PL>Y

in my head, i think you can map a hybrid cdj mode on the S4. this is how i would map it

1. pitch bend or tempo bend by spinning the top of the jog wheel w/o pressing it.
    2. scratch would engage by pressing down on the jog wheel and moving it back and forth
    3. outer jog wheel, i would use to speed up and slow down the tempo of the track.

Someone (either NI or DJTT) needs to get a S4 in my hands!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Hey Jes, do you think it would possible to completely disable the top platter?

I wish you were in Toronto man, you could just take my S4 :P

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Have you tried the default user mapping to see if there was any change in your problem? Maybe Telly's mapping?

http://traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingview.aspx?id=109
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Oh, well to be honest, I wouldn't know what to do when it comes to the mappings, and what to look for.

What did you mean by checking the mappings? Looking at the code?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    in my head, i think you can map a hybrid cdj mode on the S4. this is how i would map it

1. pitch bend or tempo bend by spinning the top of the jog wheel w/o pressing it.
    2. scratch would engage by pressing down on the jog wheel and moving it back and forth
    3. outer jog wheel, i would use to speed up and slow down the tempo of the track.

Someone (either NI or DJTT) needs to get a S4 in my hands!
    It already works like this, scratch goes live on press. As far as I can tell the platter it not touch sensitive and only activates on press.

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    It already works like this, scratch goes live on press. As far as I can tell the platter it not touch sensitive and only activates on press.
    I only had very limited time with the S4 at the DJ Expo, I knew when I demoed the unit their was several things that I wanted to remap. I need to get hooked up with someone in the LA are to try out the S4. The Sync to a toggle, the Pitch faders stay locked when the sync is enabled. so if you need to adjust songs with a BPM that drift, well ur screwed.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PRESSPL>Y View Post
    What did you mean by checking the mappings? Looking at the code?
    Go to controller manager, click add under the name of the controller, select import and load the file on this page.

then you'll need to select the Kontrol S4 you just loaded into the controller manager and make sure it says Kontrol S4 in the in/out ports. I have my doubts it'll fix anything, but it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    The Sync to a toggle, the Pitch faders stay locked when the sync is enabled. so if you need to adjust songs with a BPM that drift, well ur screwed.
    You can unlock the pitch faders and keep the songs synced. If the BPM's drifting though you wouldn't want sync on anyway would you?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Go to controller manager, click add under the name of the controller, select import and load the file on this page.

then you'll need to select the Kontrol S4 you just loaded into the controller manager and make sure it says Kontrol S4 in the in/out ports. I have my doubts it'll fix anything, but it's worth a try.

You can unlock the pitch faders and keep the songs synced. If the BPM's drifting though you wouldn't want sync on anyway would you?
    Yeah you wouldn't want to have the sync engaged but seems to me they focused too much on edm dj when they made the S4, I like to disco and we know they were too high on coke to keep the beat!

Tech Mentor

You can always ride the fader on the S4 it's no different to a CDJ in that regard.

Sync toggling really annoys me, I normally double tap in to grab the BPM and have the faders set to relative so I can play with the BPM later if needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast