HELP: Accessibility Question from a Blind DJ, b3nz0n8 relay for Tango 179-N.I. Forum - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

edit : removing my late night jibber jabber.
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-22-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Tech Guru

Has he looked into Itch?

Its not as complex of a system and the library is 1:1 direct read from Itunes or any folder he creates. No need for Traktors "collection" There is no midi mapping and the button layout on the VCI-300 is pretty simple. Could be another option for him. Also the hardware for effects is static. Meaning each click is always the same effects. So if he knows 2 clicks right = delay he won't have issues locating it.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Default UPDATE: From Tango 179 - N.I. Forum. A few more questions...

Hey guys, thanks for all of your input.

I linked this thread over at the N.I. Forum so Tango 179 can jump in a any time.

DJTT Forum - This Thread: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20688

N.I. Forum Link: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=123391

I also wanted to copy the N.I. post with an update from Tango 179 and a few more questions for you guys.

Here is Tango 179 response:

" Yesterday, 16:35
    Tango 179
    Forum Newcomer

Thank you to everyone here and on the DJ TT forums for all of the advice.

It is definatly looking like traktor will work for me despite the lack of screen reader functionality. There is still a small question, how easy will it be to remove tracks from the collection? For instance will hitting delete then hitting enter to confirm when the confirmation window opens work? Also will the remove track from collection only be the default choice when the confirm window opens?"

Tech Mentor

Hello and thank you to everyone here for helping me get closer to turning this dream into a reallity. Big thanks to b3nz0n8 for relaying my messages from NI and for connecting me to this amazing community.

Looks like all I have to do now is figure out how to remove tracks from Traktors collection to prevent the list from getting to long. If removal of tracks is a problem I would guess the search box via a hotkey will be my best friend. But if I decide to go with Itch instead the 1:1 read from the file folder would make things very easy. Time to do some research into Itch and weigh it against Traktor. If anyone has any insights or personal experience using either software that might be helpful I would value your input.

Default Hey Tango 179

Welcome to the Greatest Place on Earth. I'd give you some Mickey Mouse ears to wear but Deadmau5 ate them.

It's good to have you here and I'm happy to help. There a number of members that have indepth Itch experience here and many others that can provide insights to the library functions within Traktor Pro, as well as removing tracks to minimize the library length.

Also, are you working on a PC or Mac? And how soon do you plan on purchasing Traktor Pro? I believe in February 2011 there may be a update to either software and/or hardware that could also be Traktor related. That's the rumor and there is a growing thread on it with insights and speculation.

There are a lot of great threads in this forum with a wealth of knowledge. What's even better are those members behind them. They're a rowdy bunch and equally as awesome.

I've got to finish up some work but will check back later. Welcome to the DJTT Forum Tango 179, it's like family here...a very rowdy crazy bunch of very cool people.

I am legally blind, but get by with some help setting stuff up, a guide through the club, and I get pretty close to the screen. having the X1's are nice because they are tacktile and allow for me to feel everything. That was one big step up from my Xone1D setup. But again I am legally blind, I can still see somewhat, but things are more shapes and such...

Tech Mentor

Hey sorry b3nz0n8 I had responded to your question over on the NI forums and was going to include it in my previous post but got carried away... Anyway I was planning on purchasing my software in early to mid Jan, but if there is an update in Feb I will probably wait untill it is released. Time to dig up the update thread and do some more reading. My OS will more than likely be windows but I will be purchasing a new laptop at the same time so if mac works out better for the software that I choose than I will go with it.

LanceBlaise I am legally blind as well with shadows and light being about all that I can see. From your experience is Traktor or Itch the best route to go? Will there be any hurdles to over come with either choice that you know of?

Tech Guru

God bless him/her for even having the courage to try. Makes me thankful for what most of us have and most of us (myself included) take for granted.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by Tango 179 View Post
    Lance Blaise I am legally blind as well with shadows and light being about all that I can see. From your experience is Traktor or Itch the best route to go? Will there be any hurdles to over come with either choice that you know of?
    Well I never tried Itch. I used Torq for a bit, but Traktor is way better. Easier work flow when searching for tracks etc... When I get close enough to the screen I can make out enough of the name of the track to know what I am selecting. Before hand I do lots of prep work, making sure grids are perfect, and having load markers set up, all that stuff. I have only been this way for about 2 years now, so I have an advantage because I knew how to move around in the program before my eyes got worse... As I said before I think the controllers mke a big difference. The X1 is laid out pretty nicely so you can get a pretty good feel of where you are on the controller just by touching it lightly with your hands, and you don't have to worry about pressing any buttons because they need to be pressed down where they lightly click to engage at all. Same with the knobs, they click on each turn which is pretty nice too, again because it makes feeling stuff a lot easier.

I will be more than happy to answer questions if you have any... Again, like i said I was using this before my vision got bad, so I had an advantage, but I think its pretty good.

Can you see at all up close to things? Just asking because when I get close to stuff I can see somethings. My problem is more due to large spots and lines that I have in my direct field of vision due to blood vessels bursting on the back of my eyes and the blood covers the retina. Its like driving a car that has a windshield with muddy water with big clumps of mud thrown on it... kind of hard to explain, but I have little spots where I can see some stuff, but not so great. I have had a great number of surgeries but it just keeps it from getting worse, they can't correct it...

Default Getting lost in all the info here at DJTT is easy to do, good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tango 179 View Post
    Hey sorry b3nz0n8 I had responded to your question over on the NI forums and was going to include it in my previous post but got carried away...
    Oh hey Tango 179, no worries, I'm just glad your here. Also, getting carried away here at DJTT is very easy to do...there are so many good threads and so much entertainment.

And thank you LanceBlaise for your insight and feedback. Choosing a platform and committing to hardware/software is a difficult choice, especially with the overhead and the evolution of product cycles. Choosing the right direction is important and having first hand knowledge is even more so.

That's why I wanted to tell Tango 179 about this forum, quick educated responses from those who know their stuff. It's greatly appreciated. I'll catch up later, work is 3 hours away.

Time to crash. Over and out

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast