What equipment do I need to begin digital DJing?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What equipment do I need to begin digital DJing?

Hey guys! This is my first post and excuse the total cluelessness lol but I couldn't find anything specific enough on the FAQ's or anything so I'm just gonna ask my stuff right out here =)

I've never DJ'd before, but am so incredibly keen, as I love dancing and club music etc and think it would be awesome to learn how to mix it. Next year I'm off to university and would love to be able to play at my own and other people's parties! While I'm learning this website will effectively be my online bible, and I'll also be seeking one-on-one real-life tutoring with an actual DJ for some solid personal guidance in learning this all I just wanna know how to trainsition between songs n'stuff well to keep the crowd dancing non-stop Nothing too fancy.

But problem #1... Haha.
    I don't know what I need. This is what I think I need so far...

-Traktor looks like an awesome program so I think I'm just gonna stick with that one. I know I need that so at least I know SOMETHING lol.

-I'm getting a laptop next year. It's not a mac, although I would like one, they're too expensive unless I can get one second hand which I'd prefer not to. Normal laptops will be fine I assume?

-MIDI mixer. The Kontrol S4 looks pretty awesome so I think that'd be awesome to get.

-Sound card. If I get the S4, will I need a sound card as well or does the S4 do the job of the sound card as well?

-Some decent headphones.

-Some awesome (LOUD) speakers that I'll also use as computer speakers for in my room when not used for DJing.

So the idea is that, Traktor Pro goes on the laptop, the S4 plugs into the laptop and I use that for controlling everything, the sound card plugs into the laptop, which plugs straight into the speakers, and my headphones plug into the sound card too and I'm ready to rock?

Please help me correct and/or confirm

Thankyooooooooooou ^^
    Last edited by Swanny.NZ; 11-21-2010 at 01:53 AM.

the S4 has a built in sound card. you dont need another one
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Headphones and a mouse mate! You can add to your gear piece by piece as you need it, starting with a soundcard. Welcome to the forums & btw are you a kiwi dude?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Fuck yeah man! Haha NZ rep! Will be in Chch next year but I'm guessing you're an Aucklander? lol (Hey, it's usually safe to assume :P)
    And yeah haha I forgot about the mouse! For sure Wired or wireless?
    Last edited by Swanny.NZ; 11-21-2010 at 01:42 AM.

This is all you need.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiRLpuwDZ0

Sorry guys... might want to move this to the "I iz drunk" thread.

I'd say all you need is good music.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I'm in sunny blenheim mate. My advice would be to get an audio2 soundcard and a copy of traktor LE and go from there. You can get your skills up and then its cheap enough to upgrade to the pro version and add controllers from there. Or if you have the readies and are serious about giving it a go then grab the S4, as that includes the software, mixer and soundcard for a "one stop shop" type setup.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Holy fucking fucking shit I'm in Blenheim too!

Excuse the swearing but seriously... What are the chances o.O

pm me your facebook if you have it dude

Tech Wizard

Haha done man!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast