Audio enhancing question
    Tech Guru

Default Audio enhancing question

Hello again,
    I recently came across an audio enhancer or filter called DFX. Its basically a plugin for media players and makes audio sound so much better, in my opinion.

For DFX: http://www.fxsound.com/

I'm happy with DFX but I'm looking for a decent program or audio processor, I guess you would call it, that is constantly running. I mean, the DFX plugin closes as soon as you turn off your media player.

I have googled, but I didn't come across anything program wise. Perhaps this isn't available, hence the Dre HP laptop just dropped http://www.shopping.hp.com/go/beats. You would think if something like what I'm explaining was out there word would get around.

I know of X-fi: http://www.x-fi.com/ But before I decide I just wanted to get your input and know my options.

(If you know of a better, yet reasonably priced "X-fi" or audio enhancer please let me know.)

Cheers!
    -Digi

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

you do know those plugins are mainly an EQ right?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    you do know those plugins are mainly an EQ right?
    I'm sure alot of it is EQ, but DFX "those plugins" have options or effects that you can't get with an EQ adjust. But the only EQ options available in Windows are tone and bass.

Those media "enhancer" plugins are meant for your average person playing MP3s out of their computer component system etc. The Beats by Dre laptop is just a regular HP laptop made to production specs (ie fast RPM or solid state hard drive) and a higher quality soundcard. Im pretty sure the whole Dre aspect of it is just marketing behind a nice laptop, but again, it's nothing a regular laptop with a nice sound card/audio interface can't do.

If you want your computer to sound better, you should get a nice audio interface, with maybe one of those vintage tube boxes in the tube pre thread. That's the kind of sound you want to apply to your whole mix, not some chintzy software.

Just my opinion of course

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post

And mine
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    If you want your computer to sound better, you should get a nice audio interface, with maybe one of those vintage tube boxes in the tube pre thread. That's the kind of sound you want to apply to your whole mix, not some chintzy software.

Not really answering my question, but..
    I'm not fimiliar with the vintage tubes boxes. I don't see how that is applied but I'll check that out.

Just an FYI, I use a Creative SB Audigy 2 LS $200 internal soundcard. I probably could use some better speakers and subs that I can't afford right now. I'm currently running 4 JL 3", 2 JL 8" (ovals) for speakers and Random brand 1 5" sub and a Sony xplod 10" pushed by a 200w multichannel car amp I DIY'd to a PSU.