Cd players that can play Mac formatted USB drives
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor ANok?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    167

    Default Cd players that can play Mac formatted USB drives

    Does anyone know of any cd players that can play Mac formatted USB drives besides the pioneer Cdj 350?
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

  2. #2
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    anti-mac nazi-troll
    Posts
    52

    Default

    well, basically every cd player with usb port out there. just use os x' disk utility to format the stick as fat/fat32

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor ANok?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Good point. Thanks!
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

  4. #4
    Tech Guru space monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    NDX 800 can read a Mac formatted disc/stick

  5. #5
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tekki's crotch
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Mixdeck as well.
    DJDiscourse.com the new DJ community

  6. #6
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperjones View Post
    well, basically every cd player with usb port out there. just use os x' disk utility to format the stick as fat/fat32
    That's not really an answer to the question is it...

    FAT is a pretty crap formatting system but sadly it's the only one that's writeable by both OSX and windows. If you're only using OSX then I suggest you carry on looking for CD players compatible with Apple Format.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  7. #7
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tekki's crotch
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    NTFS is also natively readable by Mac OS X.
    If you add NTFS-3G it can also write on it.
    My hackintosh uses the exactly the same libraries of Serato Itch and Traktor this way on Windows and Mac OS X.

    Problem is I guess there aren't many CD-players working with NTFS, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    DJDiscourse.com the new DJ community

  8. #8
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    anti-mac nazi-troll
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    That's not really an answer to the question is it...
    well, i guess it depends on how you interpret "Mac-formatted" in the OP. I thought he meant USB drives that have been/will be formatted on a Mac. You, apparently, thought that by "Mac-formatted" he really meant "formatted using the native OS X file system (i.e., HFS+)."

    FAT is a pretty crap formatting system
    For cheap and small flash devices (e.g., USB 2.0 flash drives, SD cards) FAT/FAT32 is actually just fine. You don't really need the advanced features of modern, journaling file systems such as HFS+ and NTFS on a small-capacity, slowish flash devices. In fact, because the cheap flash memory that's used in these devices, you don't want to write more than necessary on them (to reduce wear). Because of that, one could even argue that FAT is superior to modern file systems such as NTFS, HFS+, ext4, etc. for this application.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru space monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasperjones View Post

    For cheap and small flash devices (e.g., USB 2.0 flash drives, SD cards) FAT/FAT32 is actually just fine. You don't really need the advanced features of modern, journaling file systems such as HFS+ and NTFS on a small-capacity, slowish flash devices. In fact, because the cheap flash memory that's used in these devices, you don't want to write more than necessary on them (to reduce wear). Because of that, one could even argue that FAT is superior to modern file systems such as NTFS, HFS+, ext4, etc. for this application.
    This. Although I do get annoying "fix" prompts when bouncing between OS'es after writing to such devices.

  10. #10
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tekki's crotch
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Which OS'es are you using?
    DJDiscourse.com the new DJ community

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •