CDJ 850s + mixer or Traktor Kontrol S4 ???????
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ 850s + mixer or Traktor Kontrol S4 ???????

Hello,

After a few months of messing around with Traktor I've decided to get my first real DJ setup. Although, I have been hesitating between getting some refurbished cdjs 850s and a DDM-4000 mixer or the Traktor Kontrol S4. I really enjoy using Traktor but to use cdjs would be nice too. Also, in the long run I would be able to plug my cdjs and my mixer to the Traktor software.

Any suggestions????????!?!!

Thank you in advance,

Paul.

The question for yourself might be, why you want to use cdj's? Is it the name pioneer, it's what all the big guys using, they take me more serious.

Next question what do you like to do with it.

What kind of dj you wanna be?.

Do you want to start dj'ing without traktor if so go for the 850's but better the 900's if you want to use a hard drive. It's a hassle to keep two drive's synchronized. I now, i got two denon 3700's and ended up for this reason using midi. And then it's a lot of cash to throw down for all the extra you pay like usb and cd and not use it. Then the 3700's have at least spinning platters.

You say you like to use traktor, Traktor s4 is an optimized controller for the new software.

The jogwheels seem to have a same feeling as the lower end pioneer cdj's

At the end, i think you have more fun with the s4, and after the update for timecode control, you can always buy some cdj's and connect them.

The only thing, the s4 is not a analog mixer so you always be stuck with a laptop. But if you keep your laptop just for dj'ing as i do, you won't have many problems with a controller. in the 3 years and playing twice almost every weekend with my denon hc4500 i never had a real big crash.

You probably can buy the s4 and a decent laptop (maybe even a macbook pro) for the price of two 850's and a mixer and you probably want something like the kontrol x1.

Really first get a honest answer why you want cdj's.

After that what ever you decide it's your decision and those are the best.

Enjoy the process, it's always nice to buy new kit.

Thomas

When it comes to getting gigs, cdj's are your friend. If you can map the 850's to give you good usability with Traktor, i'd say that's an ideal situation. You can take your cdj's and use them with traktor where possible, and for gigs that don't let you bring your own hardware, you know how to use cdj's inside and out and can use the venues stuff.

With the s4, as it's got it's own mixer, at a gig you'd have to get your hands on a line to the system. This is a fairly big no no for just about all venues as they don't want you messing around with their shit..

For conveniences sake, i'd go cdjs, for creativity and uniqueness, i'd go controller(s).

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by levvis View Post
    When it comes to getting gigs, cdj's are your friend. If you can map the 850's to give you good usability with Traktor, i'd say that's an ideal situation. You can take your cdj's and use them with traktor where possible, and for gigs that don't let you bring your own hardware, you know how to use cdj's inside and out and can use the venues stuff.

With the s4, as it's got it's own mixer, at a gig you'd have to get your hands on a line to the system. This is a fairly big no no for just about all venues as they don't want you messing around with their shit..

For conveniences sake, i'd go cdjs, for creativity and uniqueness, i'd go controller(s).
    Cant you just use a line in on the mixer that is in the club? You will not mess up their audio set up??

Tech Guru

Id ask the question what sort of DJ am I?

are you some1 who wants to push the boundries?

are you some1 who is in it for the money?(there is nothing wrong with that)

do you want to play in your local top 40 club?

If ur in it for the money or want to play in ur local club ur best bet is cdj's and a mixer. If you go software probs go serato.

If you want to create a unique experience and brand for yourself you are probly better off going with traktor. S4 is a good prebuilt option, or you could go decks with an audio 8 and a few controllers.

In my experience most clubs are ok with using traktor or serato and alot of places are more excepting of controllers than they where a few years ago.
    I am UK tho

Oh yea if ur in UK make sure ur stuff is pat tested

Quote Originally Posted by levvis View Post
    at a gig you'd have to get your hands on a line to the system. This is a fairly big no no for just about all venues as they don't want you messing around with their shit..
    That's a weird opinion to see on DJTT…that's the garbage spouted by a lot of anti-controller people who've never asked.

I haven't been to a venue ever that didn't allow people to bring equipment unless it was obvious they did't know what they were doing…and I've seen some venues allow it in spite of the DJ not knowing what he was doing.

That being said, it is a lot easier to show up and just use the club's CDJs and mixer…as long as they work right. It became really obvious at UMF last year when I saw a change-over in which an Ableton DJ took the last 10 minutes of his set to pack up his junk and a CD DJ walked up with 1-minute left in his last track and just started playing. Same thing happened a few weeks ago when a vinyl DJ put a track on and got out of the way for 5-minutes of the other guy packing up his stuff.

The only real question is which one you want to use and to some extent whether you actually use the features of Traktor enough to justify the complexity…which is probably a lot less with an S4 than with a lot of setups.

For example, I'm staying on traktor for the time being for 4 features, just 4.

1. Key adjust (huge)
    2. Beats to cue (small)
    3. Cover Art (huge)
    4. Cost (huge for now)

That's it. As soon as CDJs catch up on those 4 factors (or if I suddenly start having computer issues and gigging regularly) I'd switch in a heartbeat…sample decks will make it harder, but…meh.