Question About MacBook
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question About MacBook

Hi I've got the chance to buy a cheap used MacBook Pro but I've always had Windows and don't know much about them.

What I wanna know is will it run my S4 ok - not gonna be used for anything else.

15" 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 120GB HD, 1GB RAM

Obviously I'll need to stick some more RAM in but would the processor be up to the job? Seems pretty ancient compared to what I've got in my current PC ...
    SC | MC

It's enough I don't see any problems
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Yeah, that processor will be more than enough. Like you said, it'll need more RAM and depending on the size of your music collection, you may need to upgrade your HDD too.

If you're unsure about using Mac as a primary operating system, you can always dual boot it with more or less any Windows version...

http://thegadgets.net/trickt-boy/tip...ows-7-on-a-pc/
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

One more question - he say's he's just formatted it and it's got OS X Tiger on, but if I want he'll put Leopard on for me.

Which should I go for - remember all I want is to use it for dj'ing with my S4.
    Thanks
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    Yeah, that processor will be more than enough. Like you said, it'll need more RAM and depending on the size of your music collection, you may need to upgrade your HDD too.

If you're unsure about using Mac as a primary operating system, you can always dual boot it with more or less any Windows version...

http://thegadgets.net/trickt-boy/tip...ows-7-on-a-pc/
    Just make sure it has snow leopard. If it doesn't it's only a $29 upgrade and Bootcamp is way more reliable and the drivers are better. Plus you can set it so that your Windows partition is your startup disk and it will boot up in Windows every time you turn the computer on. Then, when you want to use the s4 just hold down the option key when you boot up and choose the osx partition. And, like everyone else said the processor should be fine just add more RAM, 4GB should more than enough, plus it'll allow you more horsepower if you ever get into production or start working with DAWs and their sometimes resource-heavy plug-ins. Plus, 4 GB is going for like $79 either single or dual channel.
    MacBook Pro (2.66 i7| 8GB RAM| 500 GB 7200 RPM) | Ableton 8 Suite | Logic Pro 9 | Kontrol S4 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | Akai MPK 25 | Apogee Duet 2 | KRK RP5s

in other words yes ask for leopard.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    in other words yes ask for leopard.
    No, get snow leopard. They're different.

If he makes you pay anything tell him to stuff it. A full copy of snow leopard costs like $29 and anyone could install it. Just click on the "customize" button when you see it and disable language packs and printer drivers…you don't need them and they take up a lot of space.

Other than that, keep clicking yes. It's no harder than installing Windows.

ah right, I thought the $29 was only the upgrade from leopard to snow leopard. I am aware that they're different
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do it and when you get the ram max that sucker out!!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    One more question - he say's he's just formatted it and it's got OS X Tiger on, but if I want he'll put Leopard on for me.

Which should I go for - remember all I want is to use it for dj'ing with my S4.
    Thanks
    Tiger, is not supported, Leopard and Snow Leopard ($29 DVD) FTW.

I forgot to mention if you upgrade the HD, its major surgery, i've done it several times and its does take some time and the right tools.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...lacement/486/1

^step by step with pix
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast