VCI-100 and others
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 and others

Hey everyone, I'm Wade. I'm 15- and I've been a DJ since age 13. I've only used the Hercules MP3 DJ Controller, and I've grown out of it over the years.

I am looking to create a cheap setup (>$500) that I can use with Traktor Pro. I've looked into the VCI-100 SE but with the recent article about the MKII version and how old the VCI-100 is I'm having second thoughts about that purchase. Another option I thought about was the American Audio VMS4.

Another question I have is about audio cards, I have a Griffin iMic which I use for hooking up my Dr. Dre Beats Studio to my Macbook 15". Would it be wise to purchase another audio card?

I'll be DJing Highschool Dances of around ≈200 people.

Best,
    W

Tech Guru

Wade welcome to the forum.

If I was doing this on a budget I would be looking in the sale forum on here and looking to buy a used VCI-100 from someone who recently upgraded to an S4. I would also recommend a better sound card. Chances are some folks will be selling their Audio 2 also. At a minimum I would aim for a Maya44.

I think the price tag of the new MKII is too much for what your getting, plus the support this site gives the VCI-100 (especially if you can land one that has been updgraded to 1.3 or 1.4 firmware) your going to get a proven piece of gear with some awesome mappings.

The VMS4 is nothing special man. 4 decks are cool and all, but I would trust a VCI-100 that is proven over that one. I think most folks on this site are going to advise a VCI-100SE and Audio 2 sound card. It just works man.

Enjoy.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Convert

Great, anybody else have a take?

Tech Convert

VCI-100SE and an Audio 2. Should be able to get both for about $500 in the for sale forum.

I just did a private party with 250 people at the top of the Stratosphere last weekend and it worked fantastically.

I've got American Audio VMS4 and it's pretty good controller and works well with traktor pro

There's a review of the VMS4 on the blog, make of it what you will. I've heard the sound card is nothing special. VCI-100 SE + Audio2 is a great combo, don't worry about the fact that it's been around for a while, it's proven to be a solid piece of gear and the newer competitors don't have much over it in terms of technology.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'll second the VCI-100 and Audio 2.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x