First gig as a DJ

Default First gig as a DJ

How'd you get your first payed gig as a DJ? The reason I ask is because recently all my stuff was stolen. I got a new setup but it put a huge dent in my wallet so now I'd like try and make a couple bucks off of DJ'ing (never have before). Now I have insurance on all my DJ equipment which I highly recommend!!! I have been dj'ing for a little over a year and am confident enough to do big parties/clubs. I have been doing tons of small parties on campus,but haven't been getting paid. Any advice on landing a job at a club or becoming a wedding dj?!

thanks!,
    Shawn.S

I'm a total noob, so I haven't even thought of it. But the first thing that did come to my mind while thinking of paid gigs for DJs was Craigslist.com.

Start going to nights you would like to play at, try to get to know the promoter, become a bit of a regular so your face is recognised, leave a cd with them, that sort of thing.

Yeah I have tried there with no success.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

If you don't have any contacts approach club-owners or promoters directly, hand them out mix-cds, offer to spin a few nights for free. Don't get scared if you have no luck at first. You'll eventually be able to get this thing started.

You should also read the following DJTT-article which covers that topic: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/09/2...he-first-gigs/
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

hey, thanks for that article. I am new to this site and never saw it! Thanks for the advice so far, I think I am going to give it a try this weekend

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Yeah, you've to keep it rolling. If you're not too bad (and even then) you've a good chance of getting yourself into the game.

I'd normally point to the search-function, but the one built in Wordpress is atrocious.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community