Digital DJ noob needs advice...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Digital DJ noob needs advice...

Hey all... I had a few questions and I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I tried searching for some of the answers to my questions but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

First off, I have a pair of Technics 1210's and was looking to go digital. I was originally thinking of getting Serato cause a couple of my friends use that and I got the hang of it pretty quick. Thoughts?

Then I started researching Traktor more and really, REALLY, like the FX and the show you could put on with it. So I've recently been thinking of getting Traktor Scratch Pro and Kontrol X1 instead of Serato. Thoughts?

Typically, I'm gonna be doing electro house shows but I'll mixing all across the board on occasion. Also, I want to have the ability to scratch and manually beatmatch on the fly... in case you need to know.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: Oh, and I also have a Behringer DJX700 mixer. Not sure if that's an advisable mixer to use with a digital setup or if it really matters.
    Last edited by Bozlifyme; 11-25-2010 at 07:05 AM.

No? Nothing? No advice?

Tech Mentor

Get an s4

bshit, ofc you can go dvs with that, just get one of the traktor soundcards ( audio 4 / audio 8 ) and a scratch pro copy + traktor timecode vynils.

i believe right now its still 50% off and packages, so this is the right point to buy.

kontrol x1 is nice to have but not a must, you can map the stuff onto the keyboard of your laptop. but ofc the kontrol x1 is much nicer.

i personally think for edm traktor > serato because of the saucey efx traktor brings along.

manually beat match? why not? you can still do that if you want to

I think TSP personally but Serato is sexy too, and does have fx...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcolt View Post
    bshit, ofc you can go dvs with that, just get one of the traktor soundcards ( audio 4 / audio 8 ) and a scratch pro copy + traktor timecode vynils.

i believe right now its still 50% off and packages, so this is the right point to buy.
    At least in Germany TSP is basically sold out (and NI themselves certainly don't have any left), and the few places which still have it, don't sell it at the 50% price point anymore (a friend wanted to buy it, so I had quite an extensive look online 1 or 2 days ago). About Duo I don't know.

Apart from that I find it quite tiring, that every time somebody asks a question like the OP, a million people jump up and post stuff like "buy the S4", "buy the VCI", blablabla. Imo DJing (and therefore the equipment needed) is far too individual to just randomly give general advice like this. Some people like all-in-one-solutions, others like it modular. Some people need jog wheels, others don't. I think it would be way more helpful to show what kind of options there actually are (and what the up-/downsides are to those options), so that the guy asking has a better basis for his decision, rather than pushing in one single direction which might not suit his needs.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

oh, so schlimm stehts darum? wahrscheinlich haben alle torrentuser jetzt original gekauft

well, id still stick to dvs as you already have tt's and a mixer and your familiar with it.

TSP and Serato is both nice, but as said i prefer TSP for its ''better'' fx ( in my opinion ) serato is somewhat sth for hiphop/scratch djs from my pov :P

Filterkat

personally, having used both TSP and SSL... both with DVS systems... i can say that Traktor is WAY more versatile... and yes... the effects are much better... Personally i have moved to an all midi solution for my club gigs and for easy transport, practicality, and the fact that you can map anything to do anything... but Traktor is an awesome DVS system aswel... i still spin on my Technics every now and then at home just for funsies and traktor handles it flawlessly...

if you like the feel of vynil but wanna go digital... i highly reccomend traktor scratch pro... with an audio 4/8 and some timecode vinyls... Plus later if you wish to go all digital you can... whereas serato is a bit picky with alot of MIDI interfaces and can not be programed as intensely as TSP can with regards to midi mappings and all that shiz

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    personally, having used both TSP and SSL... both with DVS systems... i can say that Traktor is WAY more versatile... and yes... the effects are much better... Personally i have moved to an all midi solution for my club gigs and for easy transport, practicality, and the fact that you can map anything to do anything... but Traktor is an awesome DVS system aswel... i still spin on my Technics every now and then at home just for funsies and traktor handles it flawlessly...

if you like the feel of vynil but wanna go digital... i highly reccomend traktor scratch pro... with an audio 4/8 and some timecode vinyls... Plus later if you wish to go all digital you can... whereas serato is a bit picky with alot of MIDI interfaces and can not be programed as intensely as TSP can with regards to midi mappings and all that shiz
    Yup, this ^^^
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Yep, TSP is probably for you. Unless you're looking to downsize and get a lightweight controller, in which case, as mentioned earlier... it's a very individual choice.

If for any reason you didn't want to go TSP... VDJ has some pretty good timecode abilities as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast