Help! Traktor not playing iTunes XML playlists
    Tech Wizard

Default Help! Traktor not playing iTunes XML playlists

Morning all. Has anyone had this?
    Traktor sp 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 will both load my iTunes XML playlists on the browser and my crates but non of the tracks play. I get the red flashing bar at the bottom saying could not play file... Something about maybe corrupt or drm protected

Now I've been using traktor since day dot, I have multiple backup iTunes folders in case of corrupted files and not one of them work, ECM though each one loads up in iTunes (when u select a library booting iTunes and holding alt)

I've shed loads of playlists and am a working DJ and have a gig tonight. I've been up til 2 am for the past 2 nights trying to sort this

I have tried booting from Osx 10.6.5 same problem
    10.6.4 same problem
    10.6.3 same problem
    10.5 same problem

It's driving me nuts.

I recall an issue similar a while ago after upgrading iTunes but I hve used these playlists only last week (iTunes 10.1) and have even tried old XML files from iTunes 9. Whatever and same problem

What i don't get is thy they all work in iTunes but not in traktor

I'm at work today and my gig starts at half 7.

I know I'm gonna hav to work from file browser tonight which will be a right mare but will muddle through.

Is there a way to rebuild iTunes XML files? Anyone else had an issue?

If my ext drive name had changed i would understand as the heirachy would have changed but iTunes still plays the mp3?

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Chuntz x

Ps I'm on my iPhone so haven't been able to search the forum for similar issues

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I wasn't aware you could load XMl lists into Traktor. Have you tired to add the songs to the collection before playing them?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Hi Photojojo.
    in TSP you can tell it where your itunes library is.
    when you navigate through the itunes library is an xml file. as I have a rediculously large itunes library and dont particularly want ti import them all the TSP for the past few years I have only been working from my itunes playlists ( that i need) FROM TSP.
    I always make backups of my itunes library xml files as have been stung in the past when Itunes has updated and CORRUPTED my library -BAH!

Also making backups of your xml files means you can play from multiple itunes libraries depending on your gig etc..
    I have a WHOLE library, HOUSE library, FUNK DISCO SOUL Library for example

I recently swapped out my HD for a larger drive a d cloned using Carbon Copy Cloner / Super DUper.

Now I can select any of my itunes libraries (hold ALT when itunes loads and select the right xml library) and all my tracks are found and play.

However select ANY of these libraries in TRAKTOR and they all give me the RED FLASH MISSING TRACK bull shit.

If I make a BRAND NEW ITUNES LIBRARY and start to populate and sync with the TRAKTOR ITUNES function is sees the tracks.

Id rather not have to make all my playlits from scratch again as I have been building playlists for a great number of years. My collection is around 200k tunes (yep I know its rediculous) nd I must have around 300 playlists ranging from all sorts of styles and themes. its doing my head in.

this happens to me when:

i boot my mbp up
    i load itunes, but do NOT fire up my external hdd
    i load traktor

traktor will open, identify there are lists of songs, but cannot play of them. the link between itunes and the music needs to be there first.

to fix, i:

keep traktor open
    keep hdd on
    quit itunes, reload itunes
    wait a few seconds for it to remember the songs locations
    right-click itunes portion, refresh list

works like a champ each time.

edit: jumped the gun, didnt notice itunes was playing the music. will keep the post in the event it helps in some way.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Wizard

still cant find a fix.
    ive even installed traktor 3 to see if same problem.....99% of tracks wont play from itunes playlists - i get the ! even though they play in itunes

ive even installed serato and bizarrely the plalists from itunes load and play fine.

what confuses me, is that out of curiosity today i purposely changed the file path name

for my main music folder from "music" to "music1"

rebooted and itunes still finds and plays the tunes (they are all on a 2tb ext drive)

i have a backup of the 2tb drive too, so i changed the drive name from "2tb silverbook" to "2tb silver drive", an again weirdly itunes plays tracks from the playlists when either of the drives are connected. so the path theory seems to be out of the window.
    wtf?

could it be my os? 10.6.5?

Tech Wizard

i did spend many many many hours this weekend importing my itunes playlist to collection.
    then relocating...... this did add tracks to collection but the playlists still load with dead tracks