As a DJ do you have any Do's and Dont's?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default As a DJ do you have any Do's and Dont's?

my question is general, and a good question it is as well, as a DJ what do you never do, or always do before a set? never drink alcohol, never play too explicit lyrics, never take requests, never play house, always play a rock song and so on.

Please write one Do and one Don't.

The reason I am asking as well is since I today stumbled upon a moral issue, I made a mash up/botleg from three songs. But would YOU play a song like this at the clubs?
    Should I "BLEEP" the words that aren't appropriate or is that just a part of the game to you guys?
    So to sum up, one of your own do's one don't, and WOULD you play a song of the type I just posted.

/Rob
    Last edited by RobDeLarge; 11-27-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Tech Guru

I like that tune a lot!

I will play anything in a club, explicit lyrics don't matter, infact i encourage them. If you're old enough to be in a club you are old enough to hear songs with bad language or drug/sex references - since you've probably indulged in at least one of them.

I do:
    Drink during a gig, not before, but once i'm comfortable and in my groove.

I don't: Get stoned before or during a gig any more, since i haven't played any dub gigs for a while, and i find it really impairs my mixing/attention span with EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I like that tune a lot!

I will play anything in a club, explicit lyrics don't matter, infact i encourage them. If you're old enough to be in a club you are old enough to hear songs with bad language or drug/sex references - since you've probably indulged in at least one of them.

I do:
    Drink during a gig, not before, but once i'm comfortable and in my groove.

I don't: Get stoned before or during a gig any more, since i haven't played any dub gigs for a while, and i find it really impairs my mixing/attention span with EDM.
    Thanks man, cool that you liked the tune, It's almost completed!

Nice answers to btw, I agree on the first point on not to drink until you are very comfortable. Stoned I wouldn't know, would never try that dubstep or not

Tech Mentor

before a set? well...

I do: have people over, pregame, drink, have a good time and get psyched up so I bring lots of energy to the club in my set.

I don't: start drinking before 5 pm anymore on the day of a gig, especially if it's one of those late night shows where I'm not gonna get back until past 4 or 5. I feel like more than 12 hours of drunkenness is just too hard to sustain.

....this comes from experience from that one time over the summer where I went down to the pool around 2pm, drank all day, drank some more, and then went and played a set from 12 - 4:30am. yeahhhhh.

Tech Guru

Nice tune!

I don't do gigs, but if your getting paid you need to give them what they ask for. Be respectable, don't drink, don't leave the building, all that good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    before a set? well...

I do: have people over, pregame, drink, have a good time and get psyched up so I bring lots of energy to the club in my set.

I don't: start drinking before 5 pm anymore on the day of a gig, especially if it's one of those late night shows where I'm not gonna get back until past 4 or 5. I feel like more than 12 hours of drunkenness is just too hard to sustain.

....this comes from experience from that one time over the summer where I went down to the pool around 2pm, drank all day, drank some more, and then went and played a set from 12 - 4:30am. yeahhhhh.
    So you woud say alcohol is a must for you? Or maybe it's something you want?
    Whoa haha, I'd say you are a heavy drinker DJ kinda guy, you on soundcloud perhaps?

Thanks for the reply!

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    Nice tune!

I don't do gigs, but if your getting paid you need to give them what they ask for. Be respectable, don't drink, don't leave the building, all that good stuff.
    Thanks man appreciate it.

And thanks for your opinions on do's and dont's!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeLarge View Post
    Thanks man appreciate it.

And thanks for your opinions on do's and dont's!
    I'm just saying be professional. . .don't wear a pink thong on your head, then start break dancing knocking old grannies over like bowling pins at a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I'm just saying be professional. . .don't wear a pink thong on your head, then start break dancing knocking old grannies over like bowling pins at a wedding.
    Can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate that advice!

Thanks, Broe Montana!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeLarge View Post
    Thanks man, cool that you liked the tune, It's almost completed!

Nice answers to btw, I agree on the first point on not to drink until you are very comfortable. Stoned I wouldn't know, would never try that dubstep or not
    Not dubstep, i used to run a Ska & Dub Reggae night, the venue had a nice outside area and we used to throw BBQs there with bands on throughout the day, so inevitably i ended up smoking between sets, was a blast with some heavy dub, i suppose dubstep would be the same but it's still a bit more technical to mix than old dub.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast