Many problems? S4 owners, whats up?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Many problems? S4 owners, whats up?

Im still deciding to whether get an S4 or not but so far besides how great the unit is I have also heard lots of problems. I have heard a lot of people having problems with their S4's about jogwheels malfunctioning, unresponsive decks, freezes/crashes, monitor output too low, CUE remains lit among others.

Theres a review in GC that made me think about getting the unit right away and that they first should iron things out in order to release a better put up product.Do the Maschine and X1 were like this?

Oh you Native Instruments you :eek:
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I was a bit worried too cos I didn't get one of the first batch and saw people moaning about jog wheels etc.

But since I got mine I have had no problems at all.
    I updated the driver and software from NI, recalibrated the jogs and it's been perfect - get one mate you won't regret it.
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

I have a macbook (a 2008 model, so it's nothing special), I got mine on the first batch from DJTT. It was shipped from California too Iraq, so it took a few bumps on the way over here and it works perfect. Haven't had a single issue. I also got the X1's when they first came out and no issues with those either.

I do know a friend that recently got an X1 and he had to send it back to NI for a new one. So they aren't always all perfect, and its not always the first batch.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    So they aren't always all perfect, and its not always the first batch.
    Yep agreed mate - what I meant is I didn't have mine and was reading lots of stuff from people who had got theirs first
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Never buy brand new products. Give it a month or two, sometimes bugs are fixed and the price and availability is better.

Thanks for your quick replys. Electronics are not strange to release some faulty first production units and get things ironed out along the way. I understand that NI are very pro in what they do and that their flagship controller/software combo must be released working flawlessly and solidly as the reputation the software has managed to have.

Im still deciding since I have gotten a hold of the workflow with the VCI100 and some custom mappings but the S4 looks like the functions I need are more available and depend less of shift holds

Any other S4 owner can tell their story? early adopter, where they bought it, any problems etc.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Guru

If you have a Macbook I say get it now.

If ou have a PC, I say wait a month or two - those are the folks that have had the most issues with the sound card drivers.

But, i will say that it's awesome. NI has set a new standard for controllers.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

I got mine the first week it dropped at GC. From what I was told it was the last one of the first batch they had... drove to another city to get it. None the less, I've had no issues. Running a MBP 2.66, latest drivers and software version and recalibrated jogs. All is well. Works like my vci100 did.

Sounds good so far . Now not to create another thread, can you disable the internal soundcard and use another one? I have a Presonus Firebox that I have grow fond of and performs rock solid... So maybe disable the internal soundcard and, maybe, getting it to be totally bus powered? Maybe the soundcard is what keeps the thing needing external juice...
    Erase. Stop. Start.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I used the S4 with a Firebox and its a great combo.

Are you PC or Mac Quenpas..?

What id say about early adopter and the fear of new hardware is that this thing isnt gonna change.

The hardware is fine. Yes there are some teething problems but most are in making the drivers work with PCs.
    Most of the issues are getting resolved and quickly and are not due to hardware that needing a rethink. Its just software.

The internal soundcard is as good as anything in my studio and it aint lacking live.
    Bus power knocks the LEDs down to half light which for me is a no go.

There is no doubting that people have some issues but these people are the loud minority.
    you only need to go to the Denon forum to read to some real bullshit about the S4 and some proper misinformation been peddled by some members.

I wouldnt come on here and say that the S4 soundcard sounds as good as my Presonus FireBox if i genuinely didnt think it did.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised dude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast