Club gigs need a mixer?

Default Club gigs need a mixer?

Like ive done a few house parties, and a frat party charged around 50$. Is it possible to get club gigs keyboard (laptop keyboard) dj'n? Or do i need my own mixer? Like i can use a mixer and all, i just dont have one. Is that like a big issue??
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Make sure you have a sound card so you can route the audio from your computer to the mixer (via the soundcard of course) and then set traktor to external mixing. Pretty sure that should work. Pretty sure that's how it works, I mix internally with my VCI 100 though.
    Long story short, yes you are allowed to use the clubs equipment. That's what it's there for lol.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

what i meant was ia it possible to get a gig for a club even though i dont have a mixer?
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    what i meant was ia it possible to get a gig for a club even though i dont have a mixer?
    Sure thing man, perfectly possible. A friend of mine got a gig, doesn't really have any of his own equipment but knows how to use CDJ's and such so he just burnt some CD's for it and did a great job.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane View Post
    Sure thing man, perfectly possible. A friend of mine got a gig, doesn't really have any of his own equipment but knows how to use CDJ's and such so he just burnt some CD's for it and did a great job.
    What I believe he means is: Can he get a gig playing his keyboard on the cpr, and to answer that question, I believe its possible as everything is, I would put the risk at 0.05% though, just get a cheap mixer, I mean if you wanna play clubs why wouldn't you wanna invest in a mixer?

Best regards

-Rob

Filterkat

you dont have to own a mixer in order to get a club gig... but it sure helps if you know how to use one... if your going to be using your PC you will DEFINATELY need an audio interface like an audio 4 or an audio 8 to be able to hook up your outputs to the clubs mixer... Or if you plan on mixing internally through traktor... youll still need an audio interface... but you could get away with an audio 2 or something...

If your mixing internally, essencially you only need the 1 channel to output to the clubs mixer... i have done this with a midi controller and mixed internally before using only 1 channel on the club mixer

however... i reccomend you use the clubs mixer for mixing the outputs if you dont have a midi controller, as you cant get the same hands on control with just a laptop keyboard for bass cuts/crossfades/effects as you would with a midi controller or real mixer

Whats the main difference between an external mixing and internal? is there a difference in the sound quality for if i did internal mixing or external?

Filterkat

with external you obviously have full hands on control of the club mixer... and if its a good quality club mixer, like a rane, vestax, allen and heath, or pioneer... in theory you should have good sound coming out of the mixer... HOWEVER

this also depends on the soundcard you are using to connect to it... if the sound coming out of your laptop's soundcard is crap, a great mixer isnt going to magically clean up that sound...

Native instruments sound cards all sound exelent to me, (have the audio 2 and 8) and the audio 2 is a very cheap, portable solution for both external 2 deck mixing and internal mixing.

With regards to internal mixing... once again, this depends on the sound card you are using... good sound card = good sound

I cant stress enough how important it is to have a descent quality soundcard when doing proper live gigs at clubs...

thats why i highly recommend NI audio 2 for beginners... its cheap (99 bucks), its portable, But with the same preamps and converters as their higher end cards the audio 4 and 8... only difference is you dont have all the ins and outs like the other ones, but hey... you cant complain for 99 bucks!

P.s. other cards in that price range usually dont have nearly as good a sound quality, i have heard people complain about static noises out of Numarks DJ I/O, Same as with the reloop interface, and the novation, although it has built in effects... has known to be buggy and cause audio dropouts.

Tech Guru

I have a Numark DJ IO and I dont recommend it for live performance at club gigs, just for small private parties and home use...
    I will buy a M-Audio Firewire 610 someday...

Filterkat

mmm, that is a nice card also... a friend of mine has it in his studio rig

i was considering getting the MOTU Ultralite card, with in built DSP, effects and compressors... but i have already wasted way too much on hardware stuff... Plus the audio 8 serves me well anyway... and most of the DSP stuff on the motu can be done with plugins in logic and reason anyways...