S4 use in clubs.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default S4 use in clubs.

I've read some people here have used the S4 in clubs without any drop outs or problems. Currently I am running a PC and my CPU meter in the S4 software is still fluctuating and making me feel uncomfortable about audio drop outs. Although, this is the case I still have little problems with the sound, I might here a pop or crack when in browse mode but thats about it. I tried many solutions but to me it seems like a driver problem.

On that note, has anyone at all had complete audio drop outs with their S4 in a club enviroment? Not a pop or crackle but I mean complete stoppage of music where you would likely have to restart the S4 and software? This issue haunts me and it makes digital DJ's look unprofessional, so I would really like to hear from anyone if it did happen?
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

Abyrne,

I haven't had any issues. I'm on a Macbook though. I will say that the other day recording my CPU meter on the software hit the red a bunch of times and it crackled once. I have not had it happen other than when recording.

I think your right about the drivers, obviously NI is working it. They're not going let the S4 fail. Have you tried your S4 hardware with another soundcard? If you really wanted to play out and were worried about drops maybe take a soundcard you trust a little more until there is a new driver release?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

50+ gigs with Kontrol S4 and not a single drop out.
    But thats not helpful as im on Mac.

Macbook Pro
    4GB Ram

The CPU meter is now showing a true read out of CPU load & Audio spikes and has a slower reset time than previous versions so when it hits red it stays there longer.
    It will peak even when there is no audible pop which previous versions didnt.

This is also a caching issue and will spike when certain functions are used for the first time in a session. Which might be what you see when you use the Browse knob. They dont cause audio drop outs though.

It was very alarmed to see my CPU meter hitting red as TPRO never even budged under pressure.

I wouldnt worry to much about the CPU meter.
    Mine peaks out during scratching but the audio is not affected.

Tech Guru

Yah, thats the sort of thing I was noticing.

The meter was much more sensitive than TPro but at the same time from home use I did not experience any sudden drop outs of music besides a scattered crackle.

I will give it a try Saturday night at a gig and see how it all goes over.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I wouldnt worry to much about the CPU meter.
    Karlos...

If the CPU meter is nothing to worry about. Why even have it?

When would be a good time to keep an eye on it.

What i mean is that its nothing to worry about in the context of it peaking when there are no audible problems.

I think many users simple never saw the CPU meter peak with TPRO and will freak out a bit now.

Like is say "i wouldnt worry TOO much"

Tech Guru

Yeah I hear what your saying.....

....my thoughts are - What does it provide? Do we need it? If it's not that accurate, or it's nothing to really worry about, why even have it. Perhaps this is something that NI could tighten to provide us good feedback.

Ill get some more info on how it functions now and ill post up mate.

Can you guys who are using the S4 in clubs let me know how you are able to get round the fact there is no booth output? I have read this a couple of places and so dont understand how the unit could ever be used in a club - or am i wrong about the booth output thing, or is there a way round it?

Please help i would love to think i could use this in a club :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrattyrat View Post
    Can you guys who are using the S4 in clubs let me know how you are able to get round the fact there is no booth output? I have read this a couple of places and so dont understand how the unit could ever be used in a club - or am i wrong about the booth output thing, or is there a way round it?

Please help i would love to think i could use this in a club :-)

Thanks

in the club where i play every week there's a djm mixer, i just plug in the S4 to channel 1 and got a booth output on the djm..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast