Help for and "Old/New DJ" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My advice would be (as it always is): don't jump into matters too quickly. I know it's hard when the gearlust kicks in (been there - as I think most people on here have), but still. Really take some time and think about the options which are available. Foremost think about what exactly you want to do and how you want to achieve that.
    Is an all-in-one-controller (like the S4) really the right solution for you? (For me, I think, it is not. Even though I have to admit that stuff like the S4, the Xone DX or the Denon MC6000 do look nice. So I myself decided for the modular option [I think that will have a number of advantages once I really get into playing gigs]and just ordered a Xone 42 to use with my Kontrol X1. I have been using a M-Audio UC-33e controller instead of a mixer up til now and still consider that a very nice and usable setup)

I don't want to advice you into one direction or the other, I just think all this music stuff is way too expensive to make such a decision light-heartedly. So really, take your time, figure out what you want and then go at it and give the little gearlust-monster inside what it needs
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    So...

Maybe get an S4 to DJ with and then an oxygen 8v2 to produce with.

or one of these https://akaipro.com/mpkmini

A small midi keyboard like that will go a long way when producing.

Then you just need software: Logic or Ableton.

Pretty sure that is all in budget
    I just got Ableton and its a massive program a lil intimidating cuz its my first DAW.
    -Bitpix- Don't do the same re-mix your life.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcolt View Post
    you have to consider that he might need to buy a production software, so theres not really a s4+production-tools option i guess.
    I just got Ableton live but I have to learn it never use it before I'm looking for some tutorials to get me going.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    the S4 + Maschine option is a good one... s4 is awesome for DJing... and maschine... well ive used heaps of sequencers, programs, hardware/software (own logic 8, reason and protools)... and maschine is an amazing peice of kit... you can produce very descent tracks without the need of any other software and it is VERY intuitive and once you get your head around maschine... (only took me a week) youll be making full tracks in less than an hour (only thing missing is sidechaining... pleeeease NI... next update? ) And if you really wanted to... you could do a bit of both... Personally i have maschine/traktor synced on the one computer... and sometimes when DJing... i like to add in my own little bits to the song with maschine... and its totally synced with traktor... plus you can seamlessly switch between controling the maschine software, and switching to another template to control other paramaters in traktor by using the shift function... I guarantee you wont regret getting both if you do... and i can almost guarantee youll spend more time in maschine than traktor :P
    Thanks a lot for that great advise and let me tell you, I really like mashine looks really awesome and the functionality of it is also great, as a lot of potential in the future too thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    My advice would be (as it always is): don't jump into matters too quickly. I know it's hard when the gearlust kicks in (been there - as I think most people on here have), but still. Really take some time and think about the options which are available. Foremost think about what exactly you want to do and how you want to achieve that.
    Is an all-in-one-controller (like the S4) really the right solution for you? (For me, I think, it is not. Even though I have to admit that stuff like the S4, the Xone DX or the Denon MC6000 do look nice. So I myself decided for the modular option [I think that will have a number of advantages once I really get into playing gigs]and just ordered a Xone 42 to use with my Kontrol X1. I have been using a M-Audio UC-33e controller instead of a mixer up til now and still consider that a very nice and usable setup)

I don't want to advice you into one direction or the other, I just think all this music stuff is way too expensive to make such a decision light-heartedly. So really, take your time, figure out what you want and then go at it and give the little gearlust-monster inside what it needs
    Thanks a lot and you are totally right sometimes we can get sidetracked by all the great gear that's out there, because everything looks cool and stuff like that but the functionality and the longevity of the things we have its what matters on the long run, I don't want to waste money that's for sure so I'll take my time thanks again friend

Filterkat

also with regards to maschine... if you have ableton... even better... you can drag and drop your samples/loops you created in maschine, straight into ableton, just like as if you were dragging and dropping any other file on your desktop... and then manipulate them further in ableton... i highly reccomend watching all the NI youtube videos about maschine and the possibilities with maschine... it comes with a built in template for ableton aswel that works EXTREMELY well... Very simmilar in layout to how the APC works...

Also, another great thing about maschine is that since its based on software... they can keep updating it and adding new features... so it wont get outdated any time soon like an MPC for instance... your kind of stuck with what youve got. With maschine its not the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    also with regards to maschine... if you have ableton... even better... you can drag and drop your samples/loops you created in maschine, straight into ableton, just like as if you were dragging and dropping any other file on your desktop... and then manipulate them further in ableton... i highly reccomend watching all the NI youtube videos about maschine and the possibilities with maschine... it comes with a built in template for ableton aswel that works EXTREMELY well... Very simmilar in layout to how the APC works...

Also, another great thing about maschine is that since its based on software... they can keep updating it and adding new features... so it wont get outdated any time soon like an MPC for instance... your kind of stuck with what youve got. With maschine its not the case...
    Yeah I have been checking all of the videos out, its really amazing all the things maschine can do definitely getting it soon! thanks a lot for all the great input you have gave me I appreciate it a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12