Getting booked for Forest Raves
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting booked for Forest Raves

since djtechtools is getting into allot of talk about getting booked for shows, i thought it would be interesting to hear some input on some one getting booked for a forest rave, such as Symbiosis Gathering, Lighting in a Bottle, and numerous other forest raves in norther and southern cali,

I'm a producer at heart and have to get all my material together before i can perform it live or dj it, Forest Raves are much more appealing because of the atmosphere , i would recommend Symbiosis Gathering for sure, Dubstep in the middle of Yosemite nat. forest or deep Psy trance, many diff styles,

http://www.symbiosisgathering.com/news/

of course it would be nice to have a night time spot in the forest rave, but seeing as how i'm still puttin in work, i most likely will get a early morning spot or something...Any one play at a forest rave? give a brotha some insight...although its all about connections
    Keep it Technical

mmm....I been playing these Outdoor Raves for years now in Cape Town.....so won;t be able to help....
    What helped me was to find the contact of the organiser of the TOP party....and pester him with Emails and finally gave him a Demo CD. That got me my BIIIG gig in the bush.
    New Years Eve Vortex....its a LEGENDARY party annually.

But would love to see some pics of them in Cali.

Any links?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I mostly play outdoor parties in New Zealand.

Meet the people putting the gigs on. Help out. Learn to operate a PA. Learn to be reliable and useful. You'll find that 90% of the DJs at outdoor parties are disorganised hippies, so if you are onto things it's not hard to be booked.

Tech Guru

Start with the small parties, know the people, know how it works.
    Here at Brazil we have lots of forest parties each weekend, the big ones and the small ones.
    In the big ones you will never get a chance to know any staff if you are not well known.
    In the small ones (400~800 people) you certanly will have a chance to know someone.

Show him that you are a good person, show him what kind of music did you like, what was the best DJ of the night, try to tell him that you are also a DJ, get his e-mail, IM or throw him your myspace with your demo sets.
    Be ready to aswer the question: "How much do you charge for 1 hour set?"

And if you talk to someone that is not a staff at the party, ask him what indoor clubs he like to go. This way you will know were the people like to go in the city when they are not raving in the woods, try some indoor gigs in these places to be known too.

But the best advice is: "Try to not look like a crazy guy on the drugs" when you talk to these important people.

Make friends with a promoter, organizer, or even DJ in the know. Make friends with them for the right reasons, like sincerely enjoying their good company.

For all practical purposes, it's really the only way you're going to get on an event like this.

These kinds of affairs are generally put together by an in-crowd of a subculture community, and it's up to you to use your sterling personality and awesome self to become part of the community.

Yeah....i always feel like the most sober of the lot.....except the Security.

My crew knows they can ask me to do anything at any point of the night...or party and I will be able.

Too many folks are just too temped to get WASTED....i know a ton of local DJ's that have thrown their names away due to being too wasted!

Booze and the sun....and dwugs.....not always a good combo!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Yeah....i always feel like the most sober of the lot.....except the Security.

My crew knows they can ask me to do anything at any point of the night...or party and I will be able.

Too many folks are just too temped to get WASTED....i know a ton of local DJ's that have thrown their names away due to being too wasted!

Booze and the sun....and dwugs.....not always a good combo!
    I know what you're talking about.
    The main purpose of Aka Aka's website (a pretty famous DJ-duo in Berlin) is for apologizing because they were too drunk last night to play their gigs properly.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Awsome information, brazil must have some fun forest parties!
    Keep it Technical

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    Make friends with a promoter, organizer, or even DJ in the know. Make friends with them for the right reasons, like sincerely enjoying their good company.
    yea i can feel that, i need some of these people in my life, more music founded people that know their stuff, it would inspire me even more to be around these people ask questions and grow...slowly but surly i will make connections
    Keep it Technical

Quote Originally Posted by willrjmarshall View Post
    I mostly play outdoor parties in New Zealand.

You'll find that 90% of the DJs at outdoor parties are disorganised hippies, so if you are onto things it's not hard to be booked.
    nice how is the scene in New Zealand, how is the forest? definitely gotta be on ur grind, i'm not a heavy drinker and would wrather focus on the technicalities of my set and feeding off the people, thats enough of a high
    Keep it Technical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast