What age did you start DJing?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What age did you start DJing?

I know, it's a heaps common question but I'm just wondering!

I'm 20 now and just bought a BCD3000 as I've always been interested in learning to DJ but never bought anything to DJ with, just stuck to learning an instrument and making hip hop beats!

Have I left it too late to learn how to mix and get gigs? A mate of mine Ferris from Melbourne started DJing when he was in Grade 3 in primary school, he's now in his 30s and uses CDJ and TTs! Still going strong!!!

I just feel that it's taken me a while to get to a point where I actually WANT to do certain things, for example until now I've always thought that DJing would be good to get into but now it's something I want to do and be the best I can be at!

I just feel like i've missed the boat as far as my age is concerned!

Any thoughts and experiences would be ace! Thanks guys!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

14 when I started had a pair of belt drive Kam BDX280 lol

Shit, I sooo suck right now!

What's the go with KAM man? Are they like behringer to AUS over there in UK?
    MixCloud

Never too late to learn mate!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I got my first soundlab belt driven turntables at the age of 12, ah the good old days.

haha. to prevent the OP from spiralling into depression, I started at 22. 23 now and am pretty regretful I didn't start earlier, but what can you do. I'm in it now and thank fuck I didn't wait until I was 30, working full time, and even more regretful.
    Still got 3 years of uni to finish so that's pretty much my plan on doing as much dj shiz as possible, and if I have the option once I become a real adult, I'll keep going.

20 isn't old dude, you've got ages

I spose if I look at it like, 18 is the legal age to enter clubs so therefore I've been two years too late at most!

But in that time I've worked out what I DON'T want to do, and that is music production!

At age 14/15 I was playing drums in a band at school and gigged pubs at the age of 16/17 so it's just a different avenue i spose and I gotta start fresh with a new mindset, a more mature one!

Thanks guys!

I still feel like i'm 16! This whole 20 going on 21 is soooo weird! like where the funk did it go!!!

Hey Zac, what gear do you use?
    MixCloud

14 years of ageee but your not the latest person i've heard to pick it up around 20 seems to be pretty general

Tech Guru

i was 15 when i started back in 1999.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

True! Yeah some people call it the golden age, I call it the getting older age!

I can beatmatch using nudge on my jogwheels now! I dont use sync AT ALL! I've probly spent 3/4 hours actually DJing now and I can tell my ears are starting to know how to actually know which speed needs to be adjusted in what direction!

I've just got around 10 songs I really enjoy and think fit and trying different ways of mixing them together!

is this a good way to start? using lo mid and hi aswell for dramatic effecs and crescendo's etc!
    MixCloud

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast