Times are a changing ..
    Tech Wizard

Default Times are a changing ..

Hello,
    So for the last 4 years of my life Ive Been Djing in DE, where I go to school. I am no big name DJ, but certainly known in the area I'm from. I am a resident at one of the popular College Bars and pull hundreds of party goers on thirsty Thursday and Saturday nights. But come May that is all going to change when i graduate and head back home to NJ. Unfortunately there is no option of staying in DE.

Any DJ who as worked at a club and bar knows this feeling, Showing up before the gig, you walk in the back, You head up to the booth, look at the damage the other Guest dj's have done. Look around for the mic, of course the batteries are dead, or missing. Get your self all set up, throw up on that warm up mix for a sound check. Time to take a walk and find the head bar tended, shoot the shit with him, maybe grab a drink. Now its about 10ish, people start heading in, a line is forming and your getting pumped for your set. you swing by the door say whats up to your friendly bouncer and head back up to your throne of musical supremacy.

Well that's all about to change for me, i have to move back to NJ were I don't know a person, a club owner, a promoter.

I feel like the days of being a talented DJ that can mix, read and make a crowd move just doesn't cut it, no more can you just walk in to a Club hand out a mix, and expect the owner/ promoter to actually listen to it. you'll be lucky if they use it as an ash tray.

What i am really after here is advice from people who had to switch markets, and completely start over in a new area, new clubs, new clicks, new competition... any advice would be great.
    13''Macbook Pro-SL3-DJM707-SL1210M5G's-Dicer
    www.soundcloud.com/djbrianza

Tech Mentor

What did you do to originally get your slot as a resident in this club?
    The basics should basically be the same when moving somewhere else. The thing I would do is not just jump into any club you can get but rather scope out the clubs etc. and find if there is a major difference in musical preferences? (are the crowds really that much different from were you resident?)

Ask Bar staff etc. (it's best to do this during the day if the club is ever open then. The manager will have more time to speak to you and not take you as a drunken punter looking for an easy gig). If not try and get a telephone number/email and contact them.

Remember http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/11/2...ctronic-press/
    is a good article to read and to get on asap.

You yourself know you are capable and you are clearly aware that you are a talented DJ that knows how to rock a crowd. Therefore make sure not to lower yourself to somewhere that may be less desirable. Instead aim higher and have confidence (but not cockiness!)
    It will be rough and although I am not moving town I am trying to get myself back into DJ'ing in the Clubbing scene as I took a step back for a year. I find this kind of similar because I need to make new bonds with new promoters/clubs and suss out exactly were my sound will work. It is tough but hard work will repay

Hope this helps a bit.

Tech Guru

I'm in exactly the same position, but i moved away from my residency for university.

Don't really know anybody and am too poor/busy to be hitting the club scene in London right now, it sucks balls.

Unfortunately i think the best way is to do that, be a face on the scene, scope out events and promoters before you approach them. I also miss everybody knowing me and pretty much being able to get a gig anywhere in my home town.

Tech Wizard

Manus- I got the residency there by walking in with a mix, handed it to the owner and saying Im a dj who goes to the local college, let me open one night. and he told me to come in that night ! granted i didn't pull anyone that night but after about 2 months my crowds were, not huge but consistent. It all grew from there.
    The musical preference from Delaware to central nj is night and day.
    on a typical night in DE id spin top 40, bmore club, house, rap, r&b, pop, rock, the crowd is so diverse.
    In NJ its all top40 electro house mash ups mostly club 128bpm.

You use a microphone?!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

Yea money can be a problem I suppose which is a big thing but I think forums in your local area should e a good call as well. Submit mixes etc become involved in the forums and get your name known. Even if it is just on a forum it is still a start and the people most involved in that scene will recognise your name after a while in your area.

I suppose I am lucky in a sense that I have my own radio show and it is a tool for promoting and also gains me some entrance into clubs if I am interviewing the DJ's but this can also cost me alot of money even if I get in the doors free, travel and drinks cost the most for myself. Therefore I only do interviews when I have a bit of money as the station does not pay for my travel expenses or anything like that. I am currently on a placement at the place as well so I do not get a penny for it either and still have a part time job even though I am here 5 days a week. Went a bit off topic there sorry lol

Where in London are you from Maxter? I am from Ireland but visit my cousin sometimes in London and need some advice on a couple of stuff. Will be over early January.

Tech Wizard

every night,i believe that talking on the mic connects you with your crowd. I started out Emceeing weddings and sweet 16's.

Dj's should be just as confident on the microphone as they are on the decks. IMO

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djza View Post
    Manus- I got the residency there by walking in with a mix, handed it to the owner and saying Im a dj who goes to the local college, let me open one night. and he told me to come in that night ! granted i didn't pull anyone that night but after about 2 months my crowds were, not huge but consistent. It all grew from there.
    The musical preference from Delaware to central nj is night and day.
    on a typical night in DE id spin top 40, bmore club, house, rap, r&b, pop, rock, the crowd is so diverse.
    In NJ its all top40 electro house mash ups mostly club 128bpm.
    I think that will work in your favour though. Explain how you can split a night so diversely yet still keep the dance floor dancing. It's alot harder in my opinion to be playing multiples of genres rather than just a couple. Give them a mix like you did. I always think its best to do this face to face and not in a busy environment were you can both hear each other clearly. i.e not in the middle of the club.

sorry i didnt read all that stuff.

but what id do is: hit up childhood friends/ people you used to know back at ''nj'' and throw a party with them, this will get you known to the people there. basically just start over again by playing house-partys and after some time, youll prolly get invited to a club.
    atleast thats how it works where im from, and how id do it if i were to start again. mainly id make sure, that i have fun spinning, thats what its about.

People saying that djs good are better then a mixcd. because it actually gives the club owner a reason to think you can pull the crowds.