some advice from the wise
    Tech Mentor

Default some advice from the wise

hello guys i've just bought an i3 laptop 2.26ghz with 3gb of ddr3 ram and 3mb cache for use with ableton,komplete7,guru and geist.i haven't installed any of it yet and am not expecting to be blown away by performance but its enough for me to play and learn with(i think).

at the moment its just for home use.

my question is would it be ok for me to install traktor on it aswell or am i pushing my luck.also if the answer is yes should i make 2 users and make 1 for dj'ing and 1 for production.hope someone can enlighten me.

Multiple partition are usually a good idea. Partitions are different to users, though.

You'll probably only need one partition if all you'll be doing is running audio apps. The optimisations you'll make for one audio app will be applicable to all audio apps.

I can't think of any reason to keep the audio software on separate partitions.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Traktor should be okay, it doesn't require much CPU.

Tech Mentor

how does the multiple partition thing work.if you dont want to explain can you point me in the right direction.thanx

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    how does the multiple partition thing work.if you dont want to explain can you point me in the right direction.thanx
    Google?

Tech Mentor

im no stranger to googling stuff chilly.there are so many questions i'm a bit unsure where to start.i was hoping someone who has before now had the same issues or questions would advise me what steps they took as i have in other posts.
    Last edited by calvin01; 12-01-2010 at 05:22 PM.

MBP isn't the be all end all of laptops. You are looking at ~500 USD value with a 500 dollar overhead of it being Apple. Lowkey, a Lenovo T60 has the exact same specs except for video card at about 1/4th the price. What you are paying for is warranty and driver support. In regards to performance it's not going to be mind blowing but then again, I am a technology snob. As long as you aren't running all of those programs at the same time; then yes. It should be more than what you are looking for.

Tech Mentor

thanx max.i'm not using the laptop for anything other than music applications.no internet usage at all and i'm going to optimize the system aswell.i was mainly worried about loading the fairly sizeable music collection i have for traktor and the 80 or so gb of software with sounds and still having an efficiently running system.

do you think partitioning is worth doing or just 2 users.1 for dj'ing and 1 for production?

thanx for your time mate

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    thanx max.i'm not using the laptop for anything other than music applications.no internet usage at all and i'm going to optimize the system aswell.i was mainly worried about loading the fairly sizeable music collection i have for traktor and the 80 or so gb of software with sounds and still having an efficiently running system.

do you think partitioning is worth doing or just 2 users.1 for dj'ing and 1 for production?

thanx for your time mate
    Depends. Do you play video games? If yes, then partition. I may be stereotyping but people who play video games tend to have a higher amount of random programs. If no. Then you are fine. Just try to be spartan with your laptop and you'll be golden.

Tech Mentor

appreciated max