New to this forum and digital djing. help
    Tech Student

Default New to this forum and digital djing. help

Hi all, hope your all well.

I am in the process of moving into digital djing, been using the old 1210s for years but they are on their last legs, dont think they can take anymore alcohol being poured over them.

Anyway i have bought traktor pro and i have some questions i hope you guys can help me with.

I know i need a decent laptop, i have about £500 to spend but what sort of spec will i need to run traktor without any problems? Any pointers to a decent laptop?

Also will it be better to use an external mixer or a midi-controller or both?

I honestly am totally green with all this digital stuff but i want to give it a go so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    James

Run a DVS system. I mean you have turn tables. Basically its going to let u spin the music from ur computer to your records.

Traktor Scratch pro DVS with the Audio 8. And a pair of Dicers would be a nice setup

EDIT: Btw welcome to the forum. Im Chrisw. aka DJ Crayon
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Traktor Pro really doesn't require much... If you want to be a glam DJ/Controllerist save up for the Macbook Pro, otherwise any $400 Compaq or Dell would work. I never accept anything under 4gb of RAM and a dual-core processor these days. But laptops are so cheap these days you can get that and more usually within your budget. On to midi only or hybrid setup options... Being a DJ who began on vinyl I naturally leaned toward using control vinyl for the first few years. I eventually got into the "go all digital or go home" mentality and went with an all midi controller setup. I say jump right in to midi. I got an NI Audio 8 interface, a Numark Mixtrack, a Traktor Kontrol X1, and a Korg Nanopad in my setup and I can do all I could ever want to do. Going all controller based means flexablity and customization. Everything will feel natural because you can map all the controls out yourself. Doing this will open you up to a new world of options while mixing. Watch some YouTube videos on traktor pro and check the articles here. Prepare to be inspired.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jeffolivarri View Post
    Traktor Pro really doesn't require much... If you want to be a glam DJ/Controllerist save up for the Macbook Pro, otherwise any $400 Compaq or Dell would work. I never accept anything under 4gb of RAM and a dual-core processor these days. But laptops are so cheap these days you can get that and more usually within your budget. On to midi only or hybrid setup options... Being a DJ who began on vinyl I naturally leaned toward using control vinyl for the first few years. I eventually got into the "go all digital or go home" mentality and went with an all midi controller setup. I say jump right in to midi. I got an NI Audio 8 interface, a Numark Mixtrack, a Traktor Kontrol X1, and a Korg Nanopad in my setup and I can do all I could ever want to do. Going all controller based means flexablity and customization. Everything will feel natural because you can map all the controls out yourself. Doing this will open you up to a new world of options while mixing. Watch some YouTube videos on traktor pro and check the articles here. Prepare to be inspired.
    Wow, your setup sounds almost exactly like mine ... we're so cool

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Seen a few Macbooks / pro's with 2 years left on the warranty on fleabay for around 500 located in UK too

Hope this doesnt make this into a Mac/PC flame war, but I don't think you'd regret going Apple for Djing even Secondhand i'd go with one over a PC anyday.

Apple refurb shop doesnt have anything at the mo, but saw a white unibody not long ago for 649 Stg if you could stretch.

Mouth Zipped.

I agree in going down the controller-only rather rather than DVS. It makes your whole set-up so portable too - throw it in a backpack and head off to play anywhere. I actually played the first 5 years of my digital DJ career with JUST a laptop (and an Echo Indigo soundcard) before eventually getting a controller!

Here's a DJ controller round-up with nearly 40 to choose from
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Tech Student

thanks for all your replys and advice, some food for thought right there.

The dvs route is a non starter as my turntables have finally gave up the ghost, ive had them nearly 20 years. Its about time i moved on.....

And yes jeff i think im going to jump head first right into the midi set up. Going to get the numark mixtrack , its got good reviews and will be decent enough to start me off.

All i need now is the laptop, would really like a mac but the price puts me off and im wary of going down the 2nd hand route, seen a few on ebay im keeping my eye on though.

Loads of great advice on this site, starting to get a better understanding already.

Thanks
    James

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Hey James,

Something to consider about Apples BTW is that IF it comes with applecare the laptop is under warranty for 3 years which is longer than most other brands (excluding how long the owner had it) and the serial can be checked for the details though the apple site.

Their refurbs are the way to go though as they are basically brand new direct from apple.

Have fun with the new toys BTW welcome to a "lighter" world

.. well until you want to add 10 midi fighters, S4, controller keyboard and sure a few APC40's etc to your setup :P

Haha! I hear that man. Everyone claims that their set up is lighter at first but you compare a bag full of vinyl to the laptop, sound card and array of controllers you find yourself carrying after a year to two to the bag of vinyl and CDs you had before.

Back to the topic- You may as well buy a controller and try out both with and without traditional mixer and seeing what method works for you since you already own a mixer and it'll be no extra expense for you. The best thing about controllers is that you design your own setup. Find out what works for you dude.