43 inches of fun...with a half beat delay

Default 43 inches of fun...with a half beat delay

so if you keep up with the 'show your set up' thread, you would know i just got a 42 inch tv and connected ye olde lappy to it.

so far so good. only a couple of problems though.

1. i cant make it mirror my desktop, only an extension. normally thats ok, but when you hit maximize traktor only fills 1/4 of the screen, so to fix that i have to make the tv monitor 1 and then maximize or go full screen

ok, fine, i can deal with that

skip here for tl:dr

2. i have latency at 5.5ms and i always have a delay! (between the 1/4th and center marker on the phase meter. is that half beat. i should know this....)

and its not just the play/ pause, the jogs and everything are laggy! i think my comp cant handle the screen resolution (cpu usage was at a normal level though)

i thought that maybe i should time myself based on the gridlines instead, but still no go!

any ideas on how to fix his? i like having 1 foot long waveforms, but i like proper timing better.

ps. i think the tv delays the audio somehow. next chance i get ill use headphones instead, but that wont be for a little while
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

It's not your pc - it's the screen. In my first months around Paris I lived in a flat where the only screen was a 42" plasma tv, and I'd hooked up my sound output directly to the stereo, not through the plasma. I played quake on it and used traktor 3.
    Quake felt like playing while drunk. Always some crappy delay to work with.
    Traktor felt like playing with monitors a dozen meters away from me. That's when I started using the headphones much more for monitoring.

The tv probably would've delayed the audio enough for it to be in sync with the delayed picture, but that doesn't make the picture any snappier.

And there is nothing you can do about that, other than getting another display. Not only you have to wait for the pixels to switch colors but there is also the elusive INPUT LAG phenomenon, which is rather well documented - essentially, you have to wait a few handfuls of milliseconds before the pixels decide to try and switch colors - and then you have to wait for them to complete the switch (which is the advertised latency on the box). Typically on a mediocre computer display the input lag can be around a couple frames (at 60hz) and it becomes noticeable.

That plasma TV I played with was running at 60hz (that's 16ms per frame) and it definitely had at least one full frame of input lag on top of the actual latency at the pixel level.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 12-01-2010 at 05:42 PM.

well, thanks SOOOOOOO much for clearing that up. i would have gone insane not knowing that!

so i have the option of routing the audio separately through my sound card, so would using speakers/headphones solve the problem (i would base my timing on the sound, not the visual)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.