Headphone issues on my S4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Headphone issues on my S4

Just picked up my S4 5 days ago and I have to say this thing is sick! I was practicing last night and I heard some static in the headphones then the sound got distorted. I start fiddling with the plug and the sound continually became distorted and would come in and out. I assumed it was my headphone jack so i tested it out on some other sources and it worked fine. I'm only having the issue when connecting the headphones to the S4. My headphones are new and I tried different adapters just to make sure. Might be a hardware issue. I already reported to NI. Hopefully I can exchange it from where I purchased it but if not I might have to send it back but anyhow...anyone else experience this? What's the service like with NI for anyone needing repairs?

Tech Wizard

i may be in denial but i believe i started to have some distortion thru my cans as well. sound was lower on one side, some static at times even. i too tested out the cans thru another source like my mixer and everything was good. went back and tried it on the s4 and it was fine, i think. but then again it could be denial due to the fact that i love my S4!!

is the the issue major enough for me to send it back at this point in time? no. i can deal with the minor hiccup for the time being versus sending it in now and not having it for a few weeks or months even. like u, i dont know how long the process will take. or how its gonna be handled since its so new and supply is low as it is... sux for us!

Tech Student

I have this issue too. I can create it when I push down slightly on the headphone jack. You have to push down, however, just the right amount. Too much pressure will result in normal sound again. If you have heavy headphone cable, this could cause problems.

My first unit had this problem. I had to return that unit b/c a button was not working (and the head phone thing bugged me a little). This second unit still has the same head phone jack problem.

Tech Convert

I got home today bummed cause the place i bought from was being real shady. I called and the first thing I asked was "Do you have any S4's?". They said yes and once they found out I wanted to come in and swap all of a sudden he gives me some bull about its not their problem and now all of a sudden they have no more in stock. Anyhow, I called NI and they are willing to check it out and are working on sending the shipping info. When I got home I couldn't help but mess with it some more before I send it back. I got a Q tip and figured what the hell...maybe its just dirty. Stuck it in the jack and cleaned it and I've been playing for an hour with no issues.

Still too early to say that was what was wrong but I've been yanking the cord and I get an occasional gliche in sound from tugging on the connection which is expected but its working flawlessly right now. Crossing my fingers. Anyhow, about the service, when I called they were super cool. Said shipping would take one day and they would try their best to look at it that same day they receive it. Hopefully I won't have to send it back but just in case you guys are wondering, I had a good experience with their customer service. Just call them and they will take care of you.

Tech Wizard

good info. very much appreciated. ill try the qtip trick and see if that helps. if not, at least i know NI wont be douches about me sending it in..

What kind of headphones are you guys using?

I was having a similar problem with my Sennheiser HD555s, until I threw a standard 1/4" TRS adapter into the S4 and connected my headphones back in with its 1/8" adapter. This seems to have solved any distortion or static. It's a goofy looking adapter chain, but it works.

Tech Convert

I don't want to sound like an idiot but what's the difference between a 1/4" TRS adapter and the adapter that came with the headphones. Didn't you use the original adapter to plug into the S4 to begin with? I have Sony MDR7506's. Thanks.

Here is an overdone graphic reply:

Hopefully I'm making a little more sense now.

Tech Wizard

i see what u did there. urs is standard 1/4". versus our cans are the common 1/8 to 1/4. unfortunately for us that would require a little too much extra. cus ur talken 1/8 to 1/4 to another 1/8 and then finally another 1/4.

BTW i got hdj1000s and mdr700s. i was able to mimic the static and distortion on both cans so i know its the unit itself having issues... ill wait a month or so before i send it back. hopefully the supply will be more abundant w/ a shortened wait time.

Could just be the particular adapter you're using, or are you using different adapters with each set of headphones?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast