Question about branding. Yeah. Any lawyers on here?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about branding. Yeah. Any lawyers on here?

Ok so my DJ name that i've been using is "The Last Rocketeer". The word itself isnt really copywrited persay, but there is a quite famous comic book/movie that uses the same name.

I use the rocketeer helmet in our EDM group logo which can be seen here

SHAMELESS PLUG

question is, if i start using the helmet, or even the rocket pack from the movie on stickers or flyers and such, or even the name Last Rocketeer , am i in the path of lawsuit?

Google provides me with The Rocketeer and the likeness used with the name would get be sued. But being the LAST Rocketeer and only using the helmet seems to be okay, but only barely. Tips?

Tech Guru

just an educated guess but i think you could probably get away with it to a point. i could see it potentially becoming a problem if you use it for selling merch especially...

i see a lot of brand-jacking in the dance music scene (ie Toxic Avenger etc.), but i'm not sure if they get permission from the copyright holders or what.

Tech Mentor

i doubt tshirt selling is something i would ever want to do. maybe donations and you get a free shirt. heh. or as pbs likes to call it "GIVING LEVEL". WHO WANTS A PTCM TOTE BAG?

thanks man, also like our group on FB if you can, please? cheers

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

tell me about it, my aka is Paddy. at least im the only dj paddy on beatport :P

I knew Dave Stevens, the artist who created Rocketeer. He sold all the rights to Disney when the movie was made. Disney is so litigious about trademarks and intellectual properties that they have sued nursery schools that painted their characters on the walls.

So there ya go.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Wizard

Yeah you're pretty boned because it's a Disney property, they have enough money and lawyers to fight this and bury you in so much paper you'll stop seeing straight.

I would reconsider your choice of logo, and name

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I'm with steveboyett on this one. You should be really careful. Asking for a permit to use it from Disney seems impossible, so you're probably better off changing the helmet to something which differs quite a lot from the original one.

On the other hand I don't know how people like DJ Sega got away with it.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

There's nothing to stop you from calling yourself DJ Rocket Ear, or Rawkiteer, or something like that, and using the helmet from the old Republic serial "Zombies of the Stratosphere," which is where Dave got the design to begin with.

I'm just saying.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

Tech Guru

i wonder if anyone's had the grapes (or brain damage) to call themselves DJ Walt Disney... i would appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    There's nothing to stop you from calling yourself DJ Rocket Ear, or Rawkiteer, or something like that, and using the helmet from the old Republic serial "Zombies of the Stratosphere," which is where Dave got the design to begin with.

I'm just saying.
    Here's a pic, btw:
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast