How do you organise your tracks?

Default How do you organise your tracks?

Personally I use itunes. I have separate lists with tracks I've bought in the last 21 days and last 7 days so I dont miss my most up to date tunes. I really need to work on sub categorising my tracks, or at least rating my electro so I can tell the difference between the more full on and proggy tracks. I'm rubbish at remembering track names! haha!

How do you do things, really looking to nab some ideas!

I actually keep the files themselves in folders in My Music, I then drag the files into a Traktor playlist of that genre.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Star rating, and i have each track categorised into genre and with house i go into sub genre's
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Star rating, and i have each track categorised into genre and with house i go into sub genre's
    do you use the star rating as a way of just rating the track, or help you have more of an idea of whether a track is more proggy or full on? Thats what I'm thinking of doing to be honest.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    I use the star rating with in the subgenre to know if the songs are warmups, fillers, or primetime

I don't seperate subgenre's by putting more or less stars. Same with Hip Hop. I have a main hip hop folder and I have different sub genres. Old School is one of them also Classic Hip Hop is another. I consider Biggie, NAS, etc to be classic hip hop and would not put in next to Soulja Boy or next to Old School - EPMD, NWA.

Same with house/EDM music - I have electro, Tech house, progressive, tribal, etc. and then I have my Classics where I put tracks every one knows - Axwell, Fedde Le Grand, Benasi, etc. and I rate those as well.

I have all my songs in Itunes and then use a program called Trainspotter to create smart playlist within my Traktor Collection. Awesome program. There is 2.0 beta out right now, hopefully they'll release it soon.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I use the comment box.

"Cowbell starts at -3:46"

nuff said
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I don't seperate by genre, I guess though all of my music is of the house/tech/prog vein, and I know my choons well enough that it's not all that necessary. Use the star system to rate "energy", then use the comments to list other tracks that mix well. Then of course I've run everything through MiK and have keys listed. Use cues to mark vocals and melodies. That's pretty much it.

Don't have Itunes installed, never found a need to use it.

Banned

This topic has been done time and again. Do a quick search and you'll find it