About to purchase S4 - Monitor and Laptop Advice!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default About to purchase S4 - Monitor and Laptop Advice!

After much thought and reading the reviews here on the forum I have decided to take the plunge and purchase an S4.

I will need some speakers so have decided on purchasing some rokit krk5 monitors. They are not cheap at £125 each but I've heard them live and they sounded amazing.

I now need a laptop to run Traktor and also my sample library (external hard disk). Now it HAS TO BE PC and will be used only for music and playing Traktor as I have 3 desktops for everything. What do I need to look out for when purchasing the laptop in terms of sound card and spec? I know the minimum spec required but what would be a solid spec to ensure no problems, crashes, freezing and audio drop outs.

I'm a total novice to Traktor (having only used CDJsDJMEFX and some ableton ) so advice would be great.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Why does it have to be a PC? Might have a look at this thread, you'll still need to prep it for running Traktor though.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=122347
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Why does it have to be a PC? Might have a look at this thread, you'll still need to prep it for running Traktor though.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=122347
    All my desktops and workstations are pc based, I never used macs and to be honest I want the flexibility of having a PC laptop if I fancy installing Ableton, VSTS etc.

Thanks

Tech Wizard

Plus macs more expensive.

I got an Asus with 17" screen - there are quite a lot of things going on in the S4 software so I'd never go for a smaller one. I had a lot of problems with dropouts, but after disabling all network adapters it works like a charm.

AMD Athlon II M340 2.2GHz
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    ATI Radeon HD5145 512MB DDR2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NickGadget View Post
    I got an Asus with 17" screen - there are quite a lot of things going on in the S4 software so I'd never go for a smaller one. I had a lot of problems with dropouts, but after disabling all network adapters it works like a charm.

AMD Athlon II M340 2.2GHz
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    ATI Radeon HD5145 512MB DDR2
    Thanks, is the type of on board sound card relevant as the S4 will utilise the in built sound card if I am correct?

Filterkat

whats stopping you from getting a mac, then loading windows on it... then youll have the best of both worlds... but trust me... once you start using mac... you never go back...

Quote Originally Posted by Filterkat View Post
    whats stopping you from getting a mac, then loading windows on it... then youll have the best of both worlds... but trust me... once you start using mac... you never go back...
    I was an avid PC user, built my own first PC at the age of 13, never turned back... UNTIL WINDOWS 7 AND FUCKING SHITTY ASS MOTHER FUCKING SERVICE FROM MICROSOFT ALONG WITH SHITTY ASS FUCKING PRODUCTS FUCK THEM ALL.

My brother had a MacBook and he had an issue, fucking Apple resolved it within 20 minutes.

Fuck mother fucking Windows. I'm NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER going back. PCs are SHIT, Windows is SHIT, Microsoft is SHIT, FUCK them all.

I don't care if I have to not eat for a month to get a Mac over any sort of PC, i'll fucking starve. But I am never again dealing with any sort of PC support, or issues. Fuck that shit.

Ugh sorry for ranting, I basically lost 200gbs+ of info cause Microsofts Windows 7 shit told me to restart the computer after the upgrade, I did it, *boom* shit crashed. After 9 hours on the phone with customer service from Microsoft I ended up beign transferred to other people, and at the end I was talking to the first person I fucking talked to at the beginning of the call.

Fuck that shit, and fuck Windows and Microsoft.

Excuse the language, I feel kind of strongly on the subject (if you couldn't tell).

I would vote Mac any day of the week.

Actually, you lost 200gb of stuff cos you didn't back it up.
    Even then you would've been able to recover the stuff from the hd.

Mintaka I got a Windows machine and it runs S4 fine, but it's quite high spec.

I've just bought a mac though cos I wanted a seperate dj laptop and if you can afford one get a mac.
    I got a 3 year old one from eBay for £560 and it's like new.

KRK rokits are awesome for home btw.
    SC | MC

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    I was an avid PC user, built my own first PC at the age of 13, never turned back... UNTIL WINDOWS 7 AND FUCKING SHITTY ASS MOTHER FUCKING SERVICE FROM MICROSOFT ALONG WITH SHITTY ASS FUCKING PRODUCTS FUCK THEM ALL.

My brother had a MacBook and he had an issue, fucking Apple resolved it within 20 minutes.

Fuck mother fucking Windows. I'm NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER going back. PCs are SHIT, Windows is SHIT, Microsoft is SHIT, FUCK them all.

I don't care if I have to not eat for a month to get a Mac over any sort of PC, i'll fucking starve. But I am never again dealing with any sort of PC support, or issues. Fuck that shit.

Ugh sorry for ranting, I basically lost 200gbs+ of info cause Microsofts Windows 7 shit told me to restart the computer after the upgrade, I did it, *boom* shit crashed. After 9 hours on the phone with customer service from Microsoft I ended up beign transferred to other people, and at the end I was talking to the first person I fucking talked to at the beginning of the call.

Fuck that shit, and fuck Windows and Microsoft.

Excuse the language, I feel kind of strongly on the subject (if you couldn't tell).

I would vote Mac any day of the week.
    Word...

i used to be a PC geek also... Used to build my own computers/overclock do all the geeky shit... until my PC laptop crapped out on me twice during one live gig... and one time i even got the BSOD... so i threw my laptop in the pool after the BSOD incident... and bought a mac... never looked back since... already onto my second macbook pro... but the first one is still running as smooth as the day i bought it... Still use it for doing some things, but its now my "fun" laptop and the laptop i do photo editing on, whereas the new one now serves as a pure audio laptop..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast