CDJ-350 vs CDJ-400 vs CDJ 850
    Tech Mentor

Default CDJ-350 vs CDJ-400 vs CDJ 850

I wanted to start that thread in order to see your opinions. CDJ-400 are comming out of production giving their place to the 350s. Unortunatelly it seems to me that the 400s are better.. But who can ignore the higher end 850s wich are closer to the overpriced 900s and 2000s. It's a little general to compare without some limitations but I am really interested to anyone's opinion.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Personally, I just got a pair of 400s. It was between those or the larger plattered 800s. But between the two, only the 400s had HID and MIDI support as well as built in effects. I can't comment on the other two you posted, but am happy with the 400s, even coming out of retirement not too long ago like you said.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Guru

personally id go for the 850's as they more more like what you'll face in the club
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I have a pair of 350's and I enjoy them just fine. If the different feeling platter will bother you then you might want to think about the 850's which will probably feel closer to 900/1000/2000's (although I've never used the 850's).

What feature of the 400 do you like over the 350's?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    I have a pair of 350's and I enjoy them just fine. If the different feeling platter will bother you then you might want to think about the 850's which will probably feel closer to 900/1000/2000's (although I've never used the 850's).

What feature of the 400 do you like over the 350's?
    The effects that it has. I think the 350s don't have built in effects.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippro View Post
    The effects that it has. I think the 350s don't have built in effects.
    They don't, but I've always been of the camp that they should be on the mixer anyway.

I just bought the 850s, over the 350s, because it had a larger platter and wasn't much more money. It has a larger screen with waveform display, and it has the tag list function meaning if you're scrolling through your list and notice a really good song but you don't want to play it next or forget about it, you can setup a tag list playlist on the fly. That is basically the difference right there. for about $100 more per player. I jsut felt that paying $699 for a cdj 350, just wasn't very competitive when you could get an 850 for $799. I imagine the 850 will give me enough of a feel of what it would be like to spin on a 900 or 2000 to be able to do so at a club if I desired to use the club's equipment. Not to mention that having a full platter looks bad ass.

On the other hand, if you are a mobile dj, and need something smaller and lighter, the 350 may be better.

I haven't used my 850s yet, because I'm studying for exams, and I don't want to get distracted.....(although some would say I am being distracted right now posting on here :P). I promised some people on djforums that I would post a review when I get them. I will put the link up here when I do.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

What it comes down to cost. The 350's and 400's are a toss-up really. The 850's are a bit more, but if you can afford them, it's worth it. The 900's and 2000's are also nice, but live in a much higher price bracket.

If you can afford the 850's, I'd personally say go for them. The only reason why I wouldn't if they were in your price range is, as said above, you have more of a mobil setup and want to have it smaller in size to move about.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

If I was buying mine now, I'd probably get the 850's over the 350's (even though I don't like the color). It is cool that I can take my 350's w/ me easily, but honestly, I really just use them at home as Midi controllers anyway, so... probably wouldn't get much out of the feature (but for $100...it seems good).