gear decision (S4 vs other stuff) [long]
    Tech Mentor

Default gear decision (S4 vs other stuff) [long]

with x-mas coming up and me having some cash available I'm thinking of upgrading my current set up, I only started this summer so I'm a very new Dj as well

currently own:
    Kontrol X1
    Behringer VMX 200 (cheap 2 channel mixer)
    Audio 2 Dj
    reloop 2k mk2 TT (it's crap and not really used)
    some logitec 2.1 speaker set

Now my choices:
    S4 1k$
    Xone 22, LPD 8 and Rokit G5 Monitors 8-900k$

(from Switzerland so a "bit" more expensive than US)

The S4 is an obvious option as it's an all in one solution with nice hardware, software and support from you guys and hopefully soon a mapping by Ean

For the other option:
    I love the Xone (looks, quality, filters and feel). So it would be a upgrade of my current setup without new features (besides the filter) but I'm thinking that as soon as the sampler upgrade is avaiable for Traktor Pro I could add a new controller for the sampler section, I was thinking about someting like an APC20/40 (8 faders = volume control for each sample at all time, enough buttons etc)

So what I'd like to do with my setup in the future:
    I kinda like the way Richi Hawtin plays and I think the sample decks allow for something like that, especially if it would be possible to map the APC20 like I'm thinking. This however will only work if it will be possible to route everything through my Audio 2dj (so sample decks the same channel as A&B) and kind of mix internal and external mixing as you'd control volume on each sample internally but I think that's the only way to do it...

This would also allow me to dabble into production a bit with live and just play around with loops in general

For the S4:
    How are the sample decks routed? into A&B channels on the mixer or C&D, which would allow for EQ on the samples?
    I dont think I'll need the jog wheels and I dont really like the mixer section on it...

Oh and somewhat important I could afford the monitors with the Xone setup, which would be awesome.

Any comments? Am I missing something awesome about the S4 or am I mistaken in the way I could map an APC to control the sample decks?

Sorry about the lenght, I might even edit some more stuff in

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

First off, you'll have to wait till Traktor Pro gets the sample decks and possibly pay for that update so it may add $ to your options. I have my X1 controlling volume, filter level and FX banks 3 and 4 along side S4 so you could map the APC 20 to do the same. Sample decks take the place of C & D and you have full EQ control over them.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    was thinking about someting like an APC20/40 (8 faders = volume control for each sample at all time, enough buttons etc)
    as far as im aware you cant control the volume of each individual sample though, just as a deck. i.e deck C = 1 - 4, D = 5-8

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    as far as im aware you cant control the volume of each individual sample though, just as a deck. i.e deck C = 1 - 4, D = 5-8
    you can

you need something like an audio 8 to route everything to the allen, you can't mix partial internally or route 2 decks to the same soundcard channel
    Last edited by padi_04; 12-06-2010 at 03:24 PM.