First Impressions from a Noob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First Impressions from a Noob

Almost a month and half ago. I woke up one day and say, "I'd really like to start DJing/Remixing again." Going back to the mid 80's, I had a typical setup of two turntables, a mixer and a dream. With a small collection of albums, I produced a couple of "Master Mixes" and then promptly moved on to a host of other endeavors. And yes I am that old.

Fast forward to November 2010. I wake up and think it would be cool to start mixing again. The initial plan is to go to a few music stores and figure out what I need within my budget (I started with $500). The first store I go to doesn't have much and the sales person realizes I don't want to spend enough to justify his time. I leave that place immediately. I'm at the second store for four hours and I walk out with a Numark Mixdeck, headphones, and few other items. I have spent more than double what I anticipated.

It's pretty rare that I buy something without copious amounts of research. Sure enough I get home to start looking at reviews and how to's. I have to say there's not a lot out there for this device. But almost instantly I start to hear about this Traktor Kontrol S4. I realize that for a little bit more than what I spent, I can have something that is more in line with what I want to do and of course the cool factor goes up a 100%. Within the week, I have taken back the Mixdeck and my Kontrol S4 is on order.

I have had my device for about five days now. I ordered Ean's Traktor Kontrol S4 video and I'm glad I did. I was up and working fairly quickly. The device itself is solid but something I would be really careful with. It certainly doesn't feel indestructible.

Installing the software is fairly painless but as recommended I didn't plug the device in until I had updated the software to the latest version. I think after an hour, a semblance of music was coming from speakers. Overall, I think the combination of software and hardware is brilliant. Remembering how much work it was to keep beats properly matched compared with how easy it is now means that I focus more on the music. Last night I had 4 sample looks going with the two main decks and I was thinking to myself, "How cool is this?!?". The flip side to this is that I spend almost as much time configuring the actual songs as I do mixing them. Beat gridding is almost an artform all to itself. There are very few songs where the software gets it right immediately. Of course the payback is extremely tight mixes that don't wander off after a minute of play.

The jog wheels feel good with a certain weight and resistance to them. I know that other people have complained that there S4 was not working correctly but I have not had any issues with mine.

There are a few things that stand out as missing.

1) I wish I could get access to all 8 Cue Points with having to loose my sample decks. Four isn't enough. And I don't want to give up my sample decks to do it.

2) Hopefully soon I will be able to use my turntables with this mixer and more specifically the DVS functionality.

3) Beat Warping - I didn't know about this a week ago but if a song changes tempo that can be a problem.

I'm sure as I use the product more, I will add to my wishlist. Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I saw a quote recently that said that the Traktor Kontrol S4 will turn Basic DJ's into good DJ's and good DJ's into great ones. I believe that all of the potential is there to make this happen. From my standpoint I believe this to be the case.

One last thing - I highly recommend Ean Golden's DVD. It answers and demonstrates visually many of the questions I had in my head as I start to learn this tool. The YouTube videos that NI has online are pretty good but obviously don't go into the same level of depth that Ean does. Great Job!

S4 Homer
    Tim

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use an X1 to acces cues 5-8 and control volume and filter on each sample deck, plus a bunch of other stuff. One of those or a midi fighter compliment and S4 very well imo.

Oh and welcome to the site, I'm that old to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I use an X1 to acces cues 5-8 and control volume and filter on each sample deck, plus a bunch of other stuff. One of those or a midi fighter compliment and S4 very well imo.

Oh and welcome to the site, I'm that old to.
    I have been secretly wondering if there were a way to justify an X1 How hard was the setup?

Tech Mentor

cheaper alternative would be an LPD 8 i guess, either all 8 cues on it with a deck switch or just cues 5-8 per deck on it...

photojojo: would you mind sharing the .tsi for your X1 setup? I'm an absolute noob when it comes to mapping

Tech Wizard

Reloop is coming out with the contour which seems a bit a copy of the x1 but definitely has some improvements specially with the jogwheel to control effects, I have another reloop controller and for my style its great, something I missed in the x1, and quality is very decent... seems like a good compliment to s4 imo

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pmf2000 View Post
    I have been secretly wondering if there were a way to justify an X1 How hard was the setup?
    No, not really there's some good video how to's out there to get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    cheaper alternative would be an LPD 8 i guess, either all 8 cues on it with a deck switch or just cues 5-8 per deck on it...

photojojo: would you mind sharing the .tsi for your X1 setup? I'm an absolute noob when it comes to mapping
    I plan on it when I'm done, this is what I started with though.

http://traktorbible.com/freaks/mappingview.aspx?id=105
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Seems like a cheaper solution would just be a Midi Fighter, no? Also give you a little more tactile performance for beat juggling?

But yes, I am finding I am frustrated at the lack of cue points 5-8.

Tech Student

can someone tell me how to map cue points to a "generic midi" controller...

I'm seriously frustrated... I have read the manual... mapped everything else on my nanokontrol... figured out the x1's default settings... now all I need is the cue points!!! I can't figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by pmf2000 View Post
    It was hard for me to setup at first (X1)!!!!! but.... with the help of photojojo, it was a brezz~~~ PS... Im that old to!!! LOL... the TSI file works awesome IMO

Tech Wizard

Thnaks for the feedback Tim

Mine arrived last week but still in the box, busy with Christmas gigs!

Anyway, what are you using Mac or PC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast