Solution/mapping trick with the S4: more led feedback

Default Solution/mapping trick with the S4: more led feedback

Following my 'studies' of the embedded mapping, I discovered that you can, if wanted, add more FX presets to the embedded mapping by twisting it a bit (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20764)

Here's another trick:
    I've realised that the beat phase monitor would in most case replace (while assigned decks are playing of course or not under a 1 beat loop) the existing led feedback.

I've taken the opportunity to add some more led feedback to the existing range. So now I have some led blinking at the following spots:
    - For the Fx units, in group mode, the led is blinking on the 'FX on' button (hardware) to help me remember that this button is an additional function I've added.
    - For advanced Fx mode, the first button (hardware) is blinking to remind me that this button is the reset one

To add the blinking leds (within the known limitations of beat phase monitor), I've just added a S4 user mapping with the beat phase monitor output functions where I wanted the led feedback to be. The only specific thing here is I've duplicated the function 4 times per spot (each time I've assigned the function to a different deck) so I've made sure I'll get the led feedback most of the time as long as one deck is running. In my example where I have a blinking led for the 'FX on' button on group mode, I had to include the modifier's condition "Fx panel mode"= 0 (0 is the value for group mode) ; for the advanced mode the blinking led is located on the 'fx button 1' button and I had to include the modifier's condition "Fx panel mode"=1.
    Create a use mapping within the controller editor (within preferences), add the beat phase monitor output command, learn/add the corresponding signal. The settings I use for the led to blink are -0.005/0.005 and 0/1, that allows me to have a 'sharp' blink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2j3g5Bxiw

Note: please don't ask for a tsi, I won't provide one, it's is a very simple thing to map really (I wish I could say I master some voodoo magic, but that's not the case) and it will depend on your personal view to put this additional led feedback where you want so I can't do it for you. I've taken the time to share the idea, to write this for you, I've just explained how that works, now if you're interested please pull your fingers out and stop bitching you don't have the time - just saying. I'll answer for specific questions if you need any help of course but I 'think' I've covered how that was done
    Last edited by Yul; 12-11-2010 at 04:47 PM.

hey man this is a cool little map you did...quick question i would like to add the FX LED lights to my stock mapping...can you guide me on how to do this...as i like the visual blinking cue that my effects are on...

thanks in advance =)

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

I was writing a solution when realised while thinking about it that what you are specifically asking for isn't possible (having leds representing the on/off state of an FX).
    Actually it is possible partly meaning that you can create a mapping that will do that - but for a time. Let me try to explain (and so it helps me too while writing):
    The only led feedback that can replace the original feedback are the beat phase/phase monitor ones (may be one or two others linked to volume but I didn't check yet). It worked for me in my example as I used an absolute modifier condition (FX panel mode) that will always be integrated in the communication between the software & hardware. And it doesn't need to be integrated within a user mapping as a modifier function (I mean, you don't have to create it yourself).

It isn't true in your example as to represent the toggling (on&off) of your FX on button(s), you'll have to set up modifiers for all those buttons (4 per unit, 8 in total only for those and additional modifiers representing the shift(s) and others if you're using 4 fx units.
    That is a pre requisite to be able to create later a beat phase monitor output command with saying "I'm in group or advanced mode, I pressed this button it was off, now it's on".
    The issue is those modifiers can't interpret all the events that would make your FX(s) on&off. As soon as you're going to call or search for an FX, that may change the FX on/off states without your mapping duplicating the behaviour.
    the problem doesn't lie here in the total number of modifiers needed - your limited by 8 modifiers per mapping - as that can be overcame by creating two different mappings, one per unit.
    Does that make sense? Am I right?
    Last edited by Yul; 12-11-2010 at 05:23 PM.