Massive slow-down after hard drive upgrade? (Macbook Pro)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Massive slow-down after hard drive upgrade? (Macbook Pro)

Have an early 2009 15" Macbook Pro (Aluminum w/ black keys, 4GB RAM).

Previous configuration:

- Original 250GB Hard Drive, internal
    - Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB Hard Drive, connected via FireWire
    - Entire Music Library (150GB) on the 1TB Hard Drive, pretty much everything else on main internal drive

Performance was good with this setup. But I got really annoyed with carrying / plugging in an extra drive, so I copied my music library to a 3rd drive I have, then made an image of my original drive to my WD drive, and installed it in the computer as the primary drive. Then copied my music library to the WD drive now installed.

So, new setup is:

- Single WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Hard Drive, internal, with OS + Applications + Music Library on it -- everything

Since doing this, I am getting CONSTANT hangs, with applications (web browsers especially) becoming unresponsive for 3-10 seconds, the little pinwheel going, and sometimes even audio dropouts in iTunes (using my VCI-300 as sound card). This used to happen only very rarely before. I have not yet performed a defrag (gonna use iDefrag), and I haven't tested with Traktor Pro yet, but I'm afraid.

Does anyone have similar experiences? How did you fix it?

I am pretty sure I just need to keep my OS / Apps on one drive, media files, etc. on the other since the WD drive is very well reviewed. I am seriously considering getting one of these which would allow me to go back to the 250GB drive for my "OS" drive and move the 1TB drive to just file storage.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences? Thanks!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

repair disk permissions and errors should take care of it

ps: you sure your mac can take 1tb? when i got mine they told me nothing bigger than 500gb or faster than 5400 (for temp sake), but i have a late 2009 13" so i'm running a different mobo and only 1 fan
    Last edited by padi_04; 12-07-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Tech Guru

Wish I could help, but I don't know Mac's. Perhaps the free help over at http://www.d-a-l.com/ could help. Its basically a forum but the guys there are good and trustworthy.

Good luck,
    -Digi

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    repair disk permissions and errors should take care of it
    yeah thats that I was going to suggest also. I was going to add a 1Tb HD in my my MBP as well, I think I will just buy the 1Tb HD and take it to Apple and have them do the swap for me though. It only costs around $75 for them to do it for you, so may be worth it.

I thinks "thegeek" works for Mcetech.com

btw, thegeek where are you from?

http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/mcetech.com

Mcetech IP:
    Mcetech server location:
    San Diego in United States
    Mcetech ISP:
    Castle Access
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

JesC, you are the DJTT analogue of Julian Assange.

First steps:

verify and (if needed) repair the disk as well as permissions.
    update prebinding.
    and use iDefrag if you want.
    Oh, and go ahead and either completely disable spotlight or rebuild its database.

If you don't know how to do that, you can google it.

You might also want to perform a checksum on images before you use them that way, but i digress.

If all else fails, put your original laptop hard drive back in…make sure stuff still works. Make a Time Machine backup of that hard drive. Then, reinstall the 1TB drive and do a fresh OS X install including formatting the drive (make sure you have a backup of everything first). This is a good time to just not install printer drivers and language packs that you won't be using, though with a 1TB drive, it probably doesn't matter. During the install, you'll be asked if you want to migrate from another mac or time machine backup…yeah…you do. That's why you made one.

See if that helps.

I'm assuming that you have extra hard drives laying around because it sounds like you do.

Good luck, man.

Quote Originally Posted by partymcfly View Post
    jesc, you are the djtt analogue of julian assange.
    djtt.wikileaks.huh?

Im sorry but his post looks more like a infomercial, sucking you in to click on his link. Sorry its just the investigator side of me.
    Last edited by JesC; 12-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Oh, and i want one of those optidrives…I hardly ever use my optical drive, and I could use another SSD.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    First steps:

verify and (if needed) repair the disk as well as permissions.
    update prebinding.
    and use iDefrag if you want.
    Oh, and go ahead and either completely disable spotlight or rebuild its database.

If you don't know how to do that, you can google it.

You might also want to perform a checksum on images before you use them that way, but i digress.

If all else fails, put your original laptop hard drive back in…make sure stuff still works. Make a Time Machine backup of that hard drive. Then, reinstall the 1TB drive and do a fresh OS X install including formatting the drive (make sure you have a backup of everything first). This is a good time to just not install printer drivers and language packs that you won't be using, though with a 1TB drive, it probably doesn't matter. During the install, you'll be asked if you want to migrate from another mac or time machine backup…yeah…you do. That's why you made one.

See if that helps.

I'm assuming that you have extra hard drives laying around because it sounds like you do.

Good luck, man.
    Beautiful, thank you sir! That's exactly the info I needed!

JesC: I'm real, and I don't work for MCETech.com. I live in La Jolla, CA. Here's proof I'm not some shill, if you find it THAT hard to believe. :P

http://soundcloud.com/iamondrugs

Not much there, I've only been at this a month, but it SOMETHING. Now, off to fix my hard drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast