VDJ to Traktor

Thread: VDJ to Traktor

Tech Guru

Default VDJ to Traktor

I would appreciate some help/opinions from you guys since you all seem to know a great deal about Traktor in particular.

I've been using VDJ for a while since i stopped spinning vinyl about 3-4 years ago.

I use a Hercules RMX and am going to be adding a Akai MPK Mini after Xmas so i am trying to make the move over to Traktor. So i have Traktor pro and i love the effects, but i'm having issues mainly with the beatgridding.

I have a vast library and when i am just practicing at home i like to throw in anything that i feel like, so i am having an issue with the beatgrid being inexact - and i don't feel i am able to beatgrid everything i will use.

VDJ is limited, especially for mapping options and effects, but i love the fact i can just load up any track in my library or from my external HD and stick it on a deck.

So basically i'm not sure whether to stick with Traktor, and deal with the fact everything must be pre-prepared, which stifles my sets. Or go back to Virtual DJ and stick with difficult mapping and lacking effects.

Can anybody give any suggestions as to what i should do, or if there is a way to overcome my problems with either software, or anything i am missing?

Once you know what you're doing, beatgriddin' takes a few seconds per track. It's gotten to the point where I just do it on the fly (while playing as I load the track to deck).

Stick around with Traktor. The quality of your life will rise each time you fire it up and play.

Tech Guru

I guess i'll give it more of a go, the extra functionality is amazing, even with my RMX and the default mapping, once i get my mpk i will be able to map almost every function i could want.

My music all needs removing, re-tagging and re-organising anyway, so i will just add this in to the process. Going to be a looooooong process.

Any other features in Traktor i might be missing? I've basically only messed around since i've had it and always ended up firing up VDJ.

I think it's the right step, i've never felt right using VDJ when i play in a club so i normally use their CDJs but somehow Traktor feels more legitimate.

Give it some time. Took me months to learn Traktor in and out.

Once I did, DJing took on new meaning.

Tech Guru

Thanks for the advice mate, i will try and get everything working as best i can so i can actually have a play with it tonight.

Tech Wizard

hi, you can 'analyze' your entire libary if you wish in Traktor if you right click on Track Collection and press analyze (async) but this may take a while. After doing this you can tweak any individual tracks when you play them so the beatgrids are exact. I must agree though re-tagging, organising, etc your music sucks but once its done its simple to keep on top of your libary