Discotrick needs a new trick! Equipment Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Discotrick needs a new trick! Equipment Questions

Hey DJTT guys!

I've decided to move away from Torq 1.5 and get down to using Traktor Pro. With that move, I've decided to buy new gear and sell my old gear (Xponent) and hopefully have enough to get a completely new set up which will be more travel friendly. So I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a setup that is easy to carry around (I travel to and from Asia every 6 months) and yet won't bust the bank. Let's try to keep the cost under $600 for everything (controllers + soundcard). Just so you guys know what I'm working with, I have my 15" Macbook Pro (Non-Unibody) with 2 USB ports/2 Firewire ports and a Seagate Goflex Pro w/ FW 800 or USB 2.0.

Let the brainstorming begin! Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Extra points if it's future proof! I want something that will last me a while and still stay current.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

VCI-100 and Audio 2. If you're patient you can find a used set and get an X1 or midi fighter as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Go to the Buy and Sell forum and pickup a used VCI-100SE with the overlay and either 1.4 firmware, or buy the firmware update cable from the DJ Tech Tools store, and get a Audio 2 sound card. Should be able to stay in your price range easy.

Thanks guys. I definitely thought of going the VCI-100SE + Audio 2 DJ route too. I was wondering though, Photojojo you mentioned getting an X1 or midi fighter, but what would those be more useful for? I know the MIDI fighter would be good for controllerist/cue point juggling, but what other uses were you thinking of? As for the X1 I'm not too sure how it would fit into my set up because from what I understand, it basically just acts as an extra controller for a deck which I could probably do with a VCI anyway? Or am I missing something?

Both MF and X1 would give you better easier acces to controls that you could do with the VCI without having to press the shift button and try to remember what combination of what does what. The MF can do so much more with mapped FX and such than just cue point juggling. You could have one effect mapped to four buttons with each button increasing or decreasing the amount. That one button press with one finger does the job of what would take two hands on the VCI.

The X1 is pretty much in the same boat. It would be a little redundant with it's native mapping, but it's completely mappable with three pages of super knob and super button goodness. Plus the endless encoders are real nice for scrolling through lists.
    Chris Jennings FHP

I'll have to admit I don't know jacksh*t about MIDI mapping. Would that hinder me if I got a MIDI fighter? Do you happen to have a link to a tut on how to map on traktor somewhere in your magical bag of links?

By the way does anybody know whether the firmware upgrades only work on Windows? Because if I'm not wrong, if you want to upgrade your firmware you have to use a windows program. What if I want to use the VCI-100SE with a macbook pro running traktor pro? Would I have to use windows on bootcamp, install the firmware update then switch back to OSX? or will i have to completely switch operating systems and use traktor pro in windows?

Upgrade in bootcamp, then never boot into windows again. Unless of course for some strange reason you want to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

I've been debating over the whole Windows vs OSX for DJing thing. I know OSX is more stable, but if I do go with it, I'm stuck with iTunes for sorting out my music library. Or maybe I could just use windows to sort out my library (since it's on an hdd that is compatible with osx and windows) and do other non dj related stuff. What do you use?

How do you organize your music now? I use iTunes and love it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast