DJ biography questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default DJ biography questions

What would anyone say is a suitable length for a DJ biography?... In words or paragraphs. Mine's about 8 paragraphs or so. Takes up an entire A4 sheet in I think size 12 font (not by my computer right now). Too long?

A pal of mine who is a resident DJ in the same club (and probably has done more then me) sent me his over & his is about the same length, except his starts with the cliche "it all began in his bedroom, dreaming about being able to play along side his favorite DJ's.... blah blah".

Mine begins at what I believe to be a relevant point in my DJ history... where I was given the last 10 mins of a night and received a standing ovation from the entire crowd and offered a residency on my first public performance. Would you say that is a good place to start? I know it was my first performance but it was a pretty big deal for me & I then go on to talk about things more current.

Any feedback would be great. Also if anyone has any links to their biogs they don't mind sharing that would be awesome.

Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Let us consult the bible. In chapter 10 verse 11:29 it says

BIO DO’S
    Stick to the facts
    Describe your sound
    Career highlights
    Artists you have performed with
    Residencies
    Releases/Download stats
    BIO DONT’S
    Don’t start at childhood
    Don’t talk about your rise to fame
    Don’t pad it with hype
    Your friend has strayed down the path of darkness. Read on more to find the true answer.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/11/2...ctronic-press/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Yeah I've read that but it doesn't answer my questions. What is a suitable length, and where is a suitable place to start career wise? It tells you were not to start.. at childhood beginnings (oh, and my pal doesn't visit this site to have read that article and I'm not gonna turn round and tell him how he should write his biography).

I think one page is absolutely the longest you should make it. If you can get one page and not have to many of the don'ts then stick with that.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

I have no don'ts!

Tech Guru

one or two,maybe three paragraphs at the most. keep it simple, unless you're quite successful nobody really cares about anything besides the most basic information.

also hire a writer to write it. just as you'd hire a designer to create your promo art and web design, you should hire a writer to create your bio. i've seen countless obviously home-made bios and they always feature the same mistakes - awful grammar, excessive use of superlatives to puff up the ego, unnecessary information etc. etc.

PM me the text and I'll proof it for you.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post

Your friend has strayed down the path of darkness. Read on more to find the true answer.

Damn you beat me to it! Cant you go grab a cuppa next time so I can post it next time?

-----------------------------------------

Well IMO I think 3 paragraphs/1 page is to long. When someone reads your bio you want it short enough so they dont get bored out by the length of it, but interesting enough to keep them reading. Pack your bio with everything thats important, dont put everything in there so that takes them 10 mins to read. I think the rule of KISS is very important.

Short and sweet as they say, lol.. My bio I made is actually only 1 long paragraph, but its packed with everything that someone reading your bio would be interested in.

I hoped I could help.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Guru

^for length, it really depends on the dj and how much experience and promotional bits they're trying to include into the bio - 3 paragraphs may be too long for some or just right for others. but yeah you nailed it on the head, couldn't agree more with the K.I.S.S. principle.

a good 3 paragraph format would go something like this:

paragraph one - brief history (birthplace,location,age, influences, relevant early dj/music experiences, first major gigs etc.)

paragraph two - current ( gigs,achievements,discography that you're currently recognized for)

paragraph two - future (shameless promo of current and upcoming projects/achievements)

this guideline could just as well be compressed into fewer paragraphs, but this is generally an appealing and K.I.S.S. approach to the promotional dj bio.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 12-09-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post

Amen my bro'!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast