after 24 years Im back on an apple - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Filterkat

Welcome back... youll never have to deal with a system crash or a BSOD ever again!! WOOHOO!!! PC allways have hassels, with connectivity issues, midi dropouts, audio dropouts and possibility of full system failure... once a BSOD happens to you on stage at a gig, you realise how shitty and unstable PC is... never had ONE single problem at a gig with my macbook pro... once you go mac, you never go back...

Tech Wizard

Maybe programs run a bit bitter on macs, but is it worth the extra $1000+? My wallet says no.

jasper is secretly my new guilty pleasure...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by sirtofu View Post
    Maybe programs run a bit bitter on macs, but is it worth the extra $1000+? My wallet says no.
    maybe not if your playing the occasional gig here and there, and when your computer wigs out at home it might not really bother you that much... but when your playing week in, week out at a club, id rather have a 0.00001% chance of something fucking up than maybe say a 4 or 5% chance, trust me... you feel like an absolute dick, and you allmost have a panic attack when your PC crashes in the middle of a gig... so yes... for me, the extra $1000 does justify itself EEEEEASILY...

plus on a mac... Logic Pro! personally my favourite sequencer aside from Reason (although reason is just soft synths and samplers, no audio recording, unless you have the record bundle)... ive used pro-tools, cubase, acid, fruityloops (god forbid) Ableton, and im sure theres one or 2 others ive fiddled with, but theres nothing i preffer than logic... which you cant get on pc.

some people cant see the point of a mac... but then again some people arent that serious about music.

Listen jasper...
    Ive been buying and working on PCs for a very long time. Ive been there done that got the tshirt. IRQ problems on old pcs required you to remove your soundcard, and put it in another slot, then edit the config.sys and autoexec.bat to get a few extra bytes and what not. Seriously.. the headaches Ive encountered with PC are legit issues that are pc related and the software/hardware race.
    Everything worked fine on XP.. and Vista broke alot, caused instability and so forth... So I call it vista aids. Why because it basically ruined your use of ram, and drivers didnt work anymore, so hardware went into the useless category. IMO this is fair comparison to how vista tainted the hardware and software..
    since 1988 Ive had 11 desktops, and 6 laptops.. all pc... And not one of them has been bug free or smooth sailing like the majority of apple users... Believe me when I say this.... I have been there when it comes to arguing which is better.. and I would blindly defend pc for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. I see the end goal now as having a tool which is not being held together with duct tape but works with minimal hassle.

This was not a thread to say oh look .. I have an mac.. la la la.. what do you have. Ive been through many forums because before I make an investment I need to know that Im not making a mistake on a laptop.
    calling me a fool.. ? well this fool works hard and has a fulltime job for 18 years...
    your entitled to your opinion...

Nice purchase.

I'm in a similar boat (though I'm not a tech guru on PC's by any means). I've thought long and hard about it, and my next computer will be a Mac. Even if it ends up costing a bit more, it'll justify itself out over time.

I've always been a PC guy. Hell, I've only used a Mac sparingly. I've run linux before (not very well, my components weren't covered at the time) and I've just always been a gamer in the past. Over the past few years I've gone from gaming into music production / mixing software. I used to be a gamer with a music hobby. Now I'm a music enthusiest (I say this because I still haven't bought a "real" mixing setup yet) with a side dose of enjoying gaming (still have my original NES toploader hooked up for those special times).

I just am sick of having to babysit my computer. Be it this or that, there's always a weak link with a PC. When I buy one to use with either Serato or Traktor (which will be the reason for me buying a laptop, I currently am fairly happy with my desktop PC other than mobility purposes) it's going to be a Mac. I just feel okay with spending the extra cash, for like someone said above, the lower chance of shit going bad when I really don't want it to.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Nice purchase.

I'm in a similar boat (though I'm not a tech guru on PC's by any means). I've thought long and hard about it, and my next computer will be a Mac. Even if it ends up costing a bit more, it'll justify itself out over time.

I've always been a PC guy. Hell, I've only used a Mac sparingly. I've run linux before (not very well, my components weren't covered at the time) and I've just always been a gamer in the past. Over the past few years I've gone from gaming into music production / mixing software. I used to be a gamer with a music hobby. Now I'm a music enthusiest (I say this because I still haven't bought a "real" mixing setup yet) with a side dose of enjoying gaming (still have my original NES toploader hooked up for those special times).

I just am sick of having to babysit my computer. Be it this or that, there's always a weak link with a PC. When I buy one to use with either Serato or Traktor (which will be the reason for me buying a laptop, I currently am fairly happy with my desktop PC other than mobility purposes) it's going to be a Mac. I just feel okay with spending the extra cash, for like someone said above, the lower chance of shit going bad when I really don't want it to.
    I'm kind of the same as you - used to be a gamer with a bit of music on the side.

When I was younger I didn't mind spending a bit of time fiddling around with windows getting games to run properly (or not). But now I'm older without as much spare time I just want things to work out of the box.

I game on my 360 now - it's great - plug and play. I never have to worry about configuring options and frame rate - it just works. All my mates who still game on PCs...I feel very sorry for them

I now want the same plug and play ability for DJing. I don't want to spend ages fiddling with settings to get it to run properly, and I definitely don't want it to crash in the middle of a party. Although my Dell was pretty good with Traktor Scratch Pro - the Kontrol S4 - for whatever reason - hasn't worked anywhere near as well.

I finally splashed out on a Macbook Pro and I'm hoping it will be the plug and play solution I need - it cost enough!

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    I'm kind of the same as you - used to be a gamer with a bit of music on the side.

When I was younger I didn't mind spending a bit of time fiddling around with windows getting games to run properly (or not). But now I'm older without as much spare time I just want things to work out of the box.

I game on my 360 now - it's great - plug and play. I never have to worry about configuring options and frame rate - it just works. All my mates who still game on PCs...I feel very sorry for them

I now want the same plug and play ability for DJing. I don't want to spend ages fiddling with settings to get it to run properly, and I definitely don't want it to crash in the middle of a party. Although my Dell was pretty good with Traktor Scratch Pro - the Kontrol S4 - for whatever reason - hasn't worked anywhere near as well.

I finally splashed out on a Macbook Pro and I'm hoping it will be the plug and play solution I need - it cost enough!
    Exactly.. you filled in the blanks I forgot to add... Once the xbox 360 made the bechmark so high.. I havnt had to worry about upgrading to play the latest greatest.. i only had a pc through the years to play video games and develop for them.
    Now I only use a pc for google earth-3dsmax for realtime gaming and proprietary software to develop maps for the military to do simulation in.
    like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxalPsosiY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGb7..._order&list=UL
    Last edited by djfrogstar; 12-12-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234