Is it wrong to steal music u have already bought?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is it wrong to steal music u have already bought?

I have so much old vinyl that is very close to becoming redundant....

Is it wrong to get the tunes from Torrents (aka nicking them) even though I already own them.....no i am not burning the vinyl to mp3 that could take years.
    Volar
    Follow on social media;
    Soundcloud
    Facebook
    Twitter

Legally, probably not on - I still think we're under the stupid situation in the UK that burning a CD of MP3s you've paid for to play in the car isn't legal.

Morally, provided the artist gets paid, I personally see no problem with downloading digital versions of tunes I own on vinyl. However leeching tunes from torrent sites and not paying for then, then playing them out and get paid for doing so would make you a total cunt (IMHO)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

I can't imagine that being a problem for anyone. I just bought the new Avatar 3 DVD set, and I downloaded the digital version instead of pulling it off the DVD or ripping it, because it takes much less time and the quality is better.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Devils Advocate :

By downloading Torrents you are supporting torrent uploaders and piracy, whether you have previously bought the product is irrelevant. Buying it may put money in the pockets of the artist but its still helping the piracy industry if you then download it so you are giving with one hand and taking with another, so to speak (not exactly but you get the point).

This is statement on the question, it is not my opinion on whether its good, bad or indifferent so guys spare me the lecture on piracy.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This is the only remotely legitimate reason to use a torrent site. Plus you don't know what kinds of other bugs and crappy audio you'll get from the torrent site. I know its a pain, but the only real way to ensure you get good audio is to rip it yourself.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Id say it might the only 'remotely excusable' reason but its certainly not a 'legitimate' reason if we are using the word literally.

I have a friend, he produces tunes, he couldn't care less if they are torrented. They are probably torrented by people that wouldn't buy his tunes anyway so he loses nothing. What it does do is gets his name around more. He looks on it as free publicity.

Whether that's right or not, I don't know.

I used to torrent all my tunes, I even had a cracked version of Traktor. I decided that I was torrenting any old sh*t and my music collection started to look decidely crap.

I decided I wanted to take digital DJing seriously, so I bought a copy of traktor, I deleted all my torrented tunes got and I started again. Now I buy everything except any promos I am fortunate to be given.

I think this perfectly illustrates the point.

People who torrent music (specifically) are not generally the targetted users of that medium. The targetted users generally want to pay for the things they use out of respect for the artist, the scene, and also necessity.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

legally, since you own a copy of the original, i dont think its a problem. lets say you cut off the torrent before it began to seed, yet were warned / taken to court for your action. you could prove you had the original, and i think that would end that.

however, the act of seeding appears to be the biggest "catch all" in the states. as soon as you do that, ISPs and labels attempt to hunt you down.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

It's a matter of opinion really
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Quote Originally Posted by abyrne7 View Post
    it's a matter of opinion really
    lol

Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast