Beginner DJ question(s)... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you soooo much. All great responses! Im taking it all in.......and getting back to it I was a little discouraged there for a minute.

It takes time and patience.

What every has already said is brilliant advise, start with trying to beat match simple songs like those mentioned on the previous page.

One day it will just come to you and you'll be smiling from ear to ear, then from that day onward you will be able to match quicker and quicker until its second nature.

In my opinion the day I learned to beatmatch was on par with my first large gig that went well!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Good luck to you Noclemonique. We all struggle in the beginning, and then you ride high, and then you'll find that next step and you'll fight for months to get it to work. There's always more to learn and new obstacles to break down. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i couldn't agree more with the 2 posters above me!

the day you learn to beatmatch is one of THE (if not THE) days in your dj life, i'll promise!

but there's always to learn, i really can beatmatch, but i'm currently struggling with another thing to learn... but it's always like that - you struggle and you'll have to fight hard to get over the next obstacle - if you get over it it's like flying above the clouds! i'm already looking forward happily to the moment i'll take the next step

good luck to you nicolemonique, never give up, once you got it it's totally worth every second it took you!

Don't give up, keep on trying, if someone other dj tells you that "You suck" who cares, they were in your position not to long ago, or maybe they cant mix for sh!t and just want to hate on someone.

"You dont know the POWER of the darkside!"
    Last edited by JesC; 12-13-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Thanks Teki...Im all cracked out at work while reading the forums
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I think you mean don't Jes?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

To be able to beatmatch, your knowledge of the songs will help out a lot too. Songs that you are more familiar with will be able to sync with other songs, because you will know which sounds are coming from which track. This is KEY to beatmatching, and you always need to be conscious of which track is which, i.e. which is faster and which is slower.

So in turn, focus on specific layers of each track that are easily recognizable and go with the beat. Usually something in the high-end is easiest. IMO a common "mistake" is to listen for the bass hits on each track, but they're not as precise as the sharper percussive hits that make up each beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12