unregistering S4 from NI:Service Center
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default unregistering S4 from NI:Service Center

I returned my S4. No fault of it, just wasn't what I wanted to do with my music. Thing is though, how do I unregister the S4 from Service Center ? I returned for a full refund, and I don't really feel like :badkarma:'ing some poor dude that just wants to register his S4, but it's registered to me.

i DID dig around on the NI site for answer, but didn't find one. I suppose its as easy as sending them a trouble ticket, but I figured I'd ask here, as surely someone has had to do this with some bit of NI kit.

Tech Guru

Idk, you would think NI would pull the serial and de activate your account automatically. I highly doubt they would re sell it otherwise. But then again we don't know where you purchased from so. . .

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    Idk, you would think NI would pull the serial and de activate your account automatically. I highly doubt they would re sell it otherwise. But then again we don't know where you purchased from so. . .
    I returned my first S4 a month ago (Yeah like Nov. 7th) and I am still currently using my old S4s key. I am sure though before re-packaging it and selling it they would either issue a new serial # for it, or automatically deactivate the current one. My bet is on them issuing a new one though.

Tech Guru

I don't know if S4 (software) is compatible with other midi's but I wouldn't return that serial until NI snatches it from my cold dead hands : ]

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Think of the next guy that buys your unit. He's going to open it up and not be able to register his software and use his S4 that he just dropped a load of money on. That is of course if NI doesn't do something with the serial number and that would require the retailer telling NI the unit was returned. Chances are they're just going to seal the box back up and sell it again. The right thing to do is contact registration support and tell them you've returned your S4.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I don't know if S4 (software) is compatible with other midi's but I wouldn't return that serial until NI snatches it from my cold dead hands : ]
    It is.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    It is.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Think of the next guy that buys your unit. He's going to open it up and not be able to register his software and use his S4 that he just dropped a load of money on. That is of course if NI doesn't do something with the serial number and that would require the retailer telling NI the unit was returned. Chances are they're just going to seal the box back up and sell it again. The right thing to do is contact registration support and tell them you've returned your S4.
    This.

I bought a maschine from GC and it had been returned, I know it pissed me off that I couldn't actually register and fully USE my purchase until NI contacted GC and deregistered with the former owner.

Still using the key, well, I'm not about to go on a tirade about piracy, but you can read my implied frownie face.

Put another way : would you be upset if you spent $900 US on something, waited for it to be delivered, took it home, got everything installed just right, start up your software and see : 'we're sorry, you can't use this unit because the serial number is associated with someone else's account. If you think this is a problem, please contact our technical support department and someone will to you. Eventually.'

Whichever, I'm trying to do that right thing here

I'll contact NI.

Tech Wizard

(oh, and I bought from musiciansfriend)

Quote Originally Posted by tau View Post
    This.

I bought a maschine from GC and it had been returned, I know it pissed me off that I couldn't actually register and fully USE my purchase until NI contacted GC and deregistered with the former owner.

Still using the key, well, I'm not about to go on a tirade about piracy, but you can read my implied frownie face.

Put another way : would you be upset if you spent $900 US on something, waited for it to be delivered, took it home, got everything installed just right, start up your software and see : 'we're sorry, you can't use this unit because the serial number is associated with someone else's account. If you think this is a problem, please contact our technical support department and someone will to you. Eventually.'

Whichever, I'm trying to do that right thing here

I'll contact NI.
    I understand exactly what you're saying and agree with it 100%. On a side note though, I am pretty sure that NI is not dumb and would have some quality control in place that they sent to all its authorized re-sellers saying that in case of returns you need to contact us and make sure the CD key is not in use. And I am sure regardless NI will issue new CD keys / CDs for any S4 they re-sell.

If they did not think of that, and have some plan like that (It doesn't have to be exactly the way I stated it, but it should be a bit similar) in play then they need some new people running the company.

You guys are all good people though! Super considerate .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast