Mackie SRM 450's Painful High Frequencies
    Tech Mentor

Default Mackie SRM 450's Painful High Frequencies

I often do mobile DJ gigs and usually hire a pair of Mackie SRM 450's to do the job. My concern is that when I use those speakers I have to spend the whole night with the high knobs on my mixer turned down 20 or 30 percent because otherwise the speakers produce high frequencies which are extremely painful.
    Does anyone else experience this?
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

I experience this with my Mackie Thumps, but only when I don't use them wiht a subwoofer.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    I experience this with my Mackie Thumps, but only when I don't use them wiht a subwoofer.
    could be this, if there's no sub the highs could feel relatively overpowering due to the lack of low end?

if you need a more solid solution, try running the output through a filter. if you're mixing in traktor, you could use the filter knobs available on the internal mixer (even if you're mxing externally), to very gently cut the high end off as well.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    could be this, if there's no sub the highs could feel relatively overpowering due to the lack of low end?

if you need a more solid solution, try running the output through a filter. if you're mixing in traktor, you could use the filter knobs available on the internal mixer (even if you're mxing externally), to very gently cut the high end off as well.
    Yeah I guess it must be the lack of the sub making the high's seem painful. Cheers for the advice

Wouldn't it be better to use a secondary mixer or something similar and use the EQ to lower the high level a little rather than a filter which would just kill them altogether?

Tech Wizard

Quick and dirty trick for sorting out painful highs, Stuff a cube of foam into the throat of the horn. Its far from ideal but works

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to use a secondary mixer or something similar and use the EQ to lower the high level a little rather than a filter which would just kill them altogether?
    much better idea
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

do those speakers have a low/high pass filter on them? our wharfdales have something like that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    do those speakers have a low/high pass filter on them? our wharfdales have something like that.
    No, they have a button which cuts the lows but no lowpass filter to cut the highs. That annoys me about the Mackies

Quote Originally Posted by djrosco View Post
    Quick and dirty trick for sorting out painful highs, Stuff a cube of foam into the throat of the horn. Its far from ideal but works
    This is genius! And it allows me to still record my mix internally in Traktor without it sounding muffled.

An another note on using the filter rather than the EQ: the high resonance on Traktor's internal filter causes problems if you use it to filter the highs out.

Cheers for the advice!