First set today and I realized something funny.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default First set today and I realized something funny.

so today I played at my first house party, somewhere around 4-5 hours and it was fun...Anyways I realized that people dance to music that is considered popular or well know moreso than songs that are actually good...

So for example, i played a derezzled remix I found on soundcloud and people were straight thumping to it, but when I play a great house song, everybody went outside to smoke cigarettes!

People are strange, even stranger was that I got requested to play warp 1.9 several times...

Quote Originally Posted by M Elbert Grant View Post
    so today I played at my first house party, somewhere around 4-5 hours and it was fun...Anyways I realized that people dance to music that is considered popular or well know moreso than songs that are actually good...

So for example, i played a derezzled remix I found on soundcloud and people were straight thumping to it, but when I play a great house song, everybody went outside to smoke cigarettes!

People are strange, even stranger was that I got requested to play warp 1.9 several times...
    yes, you will come to either love or hate this :P

love in the fact that you know what will set a crowd off

hate in the fact that what sets them off isn't necessarily good.

over all, people want to dance to music they know. rarely you will get the crowd that are genuine music lovers, people just want to have fun.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Sounds like you played a good crowd 1.9.

when do the hoi polloi ever have good taste

Stick your guns.

I've got a reputation now for never, *ever* feeding the dancefloor cheese. It works, with some effort.

Salmon Dance that shit!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

Quote Originally Posted by willrjmarshall View Post
    Stick your guns.

I've got a reputation now for never, *ever* feeding the dancefloor cheese. It works, with some effort.
    Granted I have never played a real DJ gig or anything, but I respectfully disagree with that. Everyones taste in music is different. If someones playing something I don't know, or don't enjoy too much - you can bet your ass i'm going to go and go get a drink / smoke some hookah. But on the other hand if he plays something that I know well, even if its not that great of a song i'll probably be on the dance floor still dancing.

I truly feel that if you play with what the dance floor can enjoy and knows well (regardless of what you think of it, but as long as you stick to a genre you like) you will set the house ablaze.

Tech Mentor

Yeah ive learned that to. But member ur playin what they wanna hear. Not what u wanna hear.

Filterkat

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Granted I have never played a real DJ gig or anything, but I respectfully disagree with that. Everyones taste in music is different. If someones playing something I don't know, or don't enjoy too much - you can bet your ass i'm going to go and go get a drink / smoke some hookah. But on the other hand if he plays something that I know well, even if its not that great of a song i'll probably be on the dance floor still dancing.

I truly feel that if you play with what the dance floor can enjoy and knows well (regardless of what you think of it, but as long as you stick to a genre you like) you will set the house ablaze.
    I would agree with this to some extent. In my club sets, i still tend to play say 2/3 of the music that i want to... i mean how are people going to hear a potentially good track they dont know unless you play stuff they dont know, but to keep the crowd entertained, i still play maybe 1/3 of my set tracks, that people are sure to know and can relate to. I dont tend to enjoy myself as much when playing these tracks because i mean, if they know it, i certainly know it and probably knew it/liked it 6 months before they even heard it... so by that point... im over it. But to some extent, yes it definately helps keep the mood if you throw some stuff in there they know... I tend to play a lot of Bootlegs/remixes of tracks that are fairly well known in the clubs also, because people can still relate to it, but at the same time its something different... and they seem to like it.

But it definately feels good aswel when youve just played a track that you think is awesome that nobody else has really heard, and then you get a few people come up to the DJ booth asking you "what track was that you just played?"

Im keen to see how the crowd reacts in my upcoming gigs, as i have nearly finnished my EP but havent really road tested any of my tracks yet.... fuck it would feel AWESOME if someone came up to the DJ booth after playing one of my tracks going "what track was that you just played?"... id be like "MIIINEE MOTHAFUCKAAAAAAA!!!"

not really, but it would definately feel damn good i reckon.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    when do the hoi polloi ever have good taste
    ὁι πολοὶ προβατα εστιν. <- if this doesn't show up: hoi polloi probata estin.

Back on topic: I'm playing a kegger at the start of next term at the start of next term and my friend who is hosting it asked me to be the designated Dubstep DJ (there's gonna be like 3 other people spinning too). I'm curious to see how this goes over since about 1/2 the crowd is liable to be like "WTF is this?!" and go out for smokes or such.
    Drunk girls (sometimes even guys) just want top40 crap to sing along to
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast