S4 Cue Points 'popping' on release
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 Cue Points 'popping' on release

I'm stoked about my new S4; been working at it for a few days to get the hang things.

One thing I noticed is when I set Cue Points, or 'Hot Cues' ~ and retrigger them, WITHOUT the track playing (basically using them as 'gated triggers',) they POP when I release the cue button.

Example...
    Say I'm doing a beat, and I've cued the kick on one, and the snare on another - I DON'T have the track playing, I'm simply going to use the cue points to help me sample the sounds - I press the snare (for instance,) !! It comes in a little late, missing the initial attack, and it POPS when I let go...

Not cool. Anyone else? Perhaps someone could aid me in fixing the issue??
    =Z

Sounds like your grid is off. Make sure that the grid lines up at the exact point of the kick/snare
    MacBook Pro (2.66 i7| 8GB RAM| 500 GB 7200 RPM) | Ableton 8 Suite | Logic Pro 9 | Kontrol S4 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | Akai MPK 25 | Apogee Duet 2 | KRK RP5s

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Having snap on will set your cue exactly on the grid so if your grid is off your cue will be off. Since this is happening while a track is not playing I don't thing quantize has anything to do with this.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Both of you are right - but the problem persists. I'm finding it only pops when there is a 'tail' ...like reverb in the recording, so when I'm letting go of the button it pops, because the audio is suddenly cutting out. Sadly Traktor doesn't have a 'quick fade' built in to avoid the POP.

I think why it was coming in late, missing the attack, is because the 'sync' button was on... if you miss the beat as set by the internal clock, it tries to put you in time (even with quantize off.) I'm not using a reference backup beat track, so I have no idea where the metronome is in time. With sync off, it's always punchy, never missing the attack - however if you let go suddenly, in the middle of a waveform, it will pop due to the sudden cut off of the audio.

hmmmmmmmm,
    Last edited by zeburock; 12-12-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Tech Mentor

you could try and edit the sample in a DAW and make it a "quick fade" in the end, then press the button untill you're past the fade and you should be fine

Tech Convert

It's one of the first things I noticed when I got the S-4 running. Quickfade should be on the priority list.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ashigari View Post
    you could try and edit the sample in a DAW and make it a "quick fade" in the end, then press the button untill you're past the fade and you should be fine
    Thanks for the idea, but I have one word to respond: boo. That rids the entire idea the S4 was suppose to introduce; spontaneous high quality mixing in a plug and play solution. I'm an advanced audio engineer, and I'm well aware of workarounds I could do in OTHER software. That's completely missing the point. Sorry dude... I had to dick on you a little. Just a little.

Got the same problem. Can't it be fixed in the software with an update. I asume NI is aware of the problem...?
    MacBook Pro / Dell XPS - S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - CDJ2000 - DJM900 Nexus - TMA-1 - Technics SL1200 MKII - Rodec MX 180

http://soundcloud.com/dj-pablo-korsou
    http://www.house-mixes.com/artists/DJ_Pablo_S/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kontrol View Post
    Got the same problem. Can't it be fixed in the software with an update. I asume NI is aware of the problem...?
    I would hope so, but I wouldn't assume so... you're absolutely right though, and it's good news: it would only need a software update as it is not a hardware issue.

Come ooooooon NI - go team go!

Tech Guru

turn sync off, make sure your grids are correct, turn snap off. It has to be one of those options
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast