OT-ish: Buying a used Macbook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Tech Guru Lambox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,245

    Default OT-ish: Buying a used Macbook

    I have officially convinced myself that it is absolutely necessary for me to buy a Macbook.

    Unfortunately, reality tells me there's no way I'll be able to shell out the $1,000 for a new one. So I'm looking at buying one used.

    A quick search on eBay turns up literally thousands of Macbooks priced at or below $600 (pretty much my ceiling for prices). Some of them as low as $300 still match the recommended (not required) specs to run Ableton.

    My question is this: other than the usual caution I should take on eBay, is there any reason not to buy a Macbook there? I know absolutely nothing about Macs, other than that I want one.

    The only program I'm looking to run on said Macbook is Ableton and the small handful of VST(i)'s that I use to produce.

    Is this a bad idea?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

    Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Coldfuzion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    Only thing I can suggest is trying to buy a MacBook with Applecare to be on the safe side. But Mac is definitely the way to go!

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    +1 for Macbook used with Applecare

    I will do it when I have the money

  4. #4
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    588

    Default

    I bought a used 13.3 Macbook, 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb HD for £625.

    Apart from a little cosmetic damage, it's perfect.

  5. #5
    Tech Guru completej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    827

    Default

    a top of the line mbp with their barclay card financing runs $250 / month, which though is basically a decent car payment and hurts a bit, is well worth it.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

  6. #6
    Tech Guru Lecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    England/Midlands
    Posts
    537

    Default

    +1 Used with Applecare, I'm an ACMT and apple parts will rape your soul if you need a new logic board in it
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

  7. #7
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to a canal in England.
    Posts
    9,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lecko View Post
    +1 Used with Applecare, I'm an ACMT and apple parts will rape your soul if you need a new logic board in it
    aint that the truth.

    I took my first MBP in for repair. Went on Holiday and got call whilst i was poolside... "Mr Santos your Mac has a busted logic board. We can fit a new one for £770"... Just what i wanted to hear on holiday !!!

    Thing was i was 5 days out of Applecare as i forgot to renew it.

    Lesson learned.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru mostapha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,748

    Default

    Yeah…might look into financing one, but…be careful about interest rates.

    An ex girlfriend of mine has bought several used iBooks, PowerBooks, and MacBooks off of ebay over the years, and she always had good experiences.

    I–on the other hand–have gotten screwed over every single time I've tried to buy or sell something on eBay…so I avoid it like the plague. But apparently eBay just hates me…that kind of shit doesn't happen to anyone else.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru Coldfuzion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah…might look into financing one, but…be careful about interest rates.

    An ex girlfriend of mine has bought several used iBooks, PowerBooks, and MacBooks off of ebay over the years, and she always had good experiences.

    I–on the other hand–have gotten screwed over every single time I've tried to buy or sell something on eBay…so I avoid it like the plague. But apparently eBay just hates me…that kind of shit doesn't happen to anyone else.
    Interest rate state side for Barclay (along with BestBuy, Alienware [A.K.A. Dell] and a few other companies) is 23%ish (a month) I believe if you don't pay it off within the year. Ohh and here's the kicker, it's off the total amount, not what you still owe them.

    I'm pretty sure when I checked last, thats what it was at (about 2 months ago, when I picked up my apple).

    People need to really watch for that shit, cause that's where they truly rape you.

  10. #10
    Tech Guru Lambox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Interest rate state side for Barclay (along with BestBuy, Alienware [A.K.A. Dell] and a few other companies) is 23%ish (a month) I believe if you don't pay it off within the year. Ohh and here's the kicker, it's off the total amount, not what you still owe them.

    I'm pretty sure when I checked last, thats what it was at (about 2 months ago, when I picked up my apple).

    People need to really watch for that shit, cause that's where they truly rape you.
    Truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Store
    If balances are not paid in full by the end of the applicable period, or if a late payment is made, interest will be charged from the purchase date at a 22.99% variable APR.
    Honestly, the last thing I need right now is more debt on top of all my student loans (not to mention the credit card I already have).

    I can get $50 off a new MacBook because I'm a student. Big deal. That 5% really makes a difference.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

    Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •