How do/would you map 2X Kontrol X1's with the S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do/would you map 2X Kontrol X1's with the S4

So I'm about to pull the trigger on an S4 in anticipation of Traktor 2 and I am fortunate enough to have 2 Kontrol X1's.

Now I'm just wondering how I should map my X1s to go with it. I will be using two sample decks and I would like to have full control over them.

So I am looking for mapping ideas and I'm wondering if anyone has mapped two x1's for it or has any ideas. How well does the S4 control the sample decks as is? I want to be able to control volume/filter with dedicated knobs so I'm thinking of putting them on the knobs of the X1's. I just don't want the X1's to be redundant in the setup so I don't want many control duplicated which I'm not sure if it will be possible. Is two overkill? How would you do it?

I'm excited for this thing. I would also like to know if there is room in the back of the S4 flight case for a power strip and usb hub. Since I will prob be using 2 X1's they need a hub since the macbook pro only has two usb ports and the S4 needs a dedicated one.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Definitely not overkill. Each X1 can be dedicated to the volume and filter for their own sample deck. The 8 buttons on the bottom can be used for cues 5-8 and EQ kills. the endless encoders can be used for FX combos. Lots of possibilities. Have a look at this for ideas.

http://www.traktorbible.com/freaks/m...ew.aspx?id=130
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Cool

Also, I wonder if the case for the S4 would fit a 15" macbook pro with two X1's on the side.

Also, will Traktor 2 support turntables without a scratch upgrade? I already own traktor scratch pro...

That's a cool mapping for the X1, I wonder how I would do it with two- I like to avoid using shifts/different modes when possible in favor of dedicated knobs/buttons. I had my 4D mapped with like 3 shifts and it drove me crazy, even one shift gets a little annoying for me unless it is necessary.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-09-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Cool

Also, I wonder if the case for the S4 would fit a 15" macbook pro with two X1's on the side.
    Inside while the case is closed or are you talking about putting them on the laptop tray. I have no idea either way though as I don't have the case.

Also, will Traktor 2 support turntables without a scratch upgrade? I already own traktor scratch pro...
    If you already own Scratch you get the upgrade to Scratch 2 for $79. If you're wondering if you can play timecode through the S4 with old Traktor Scratch that I'm unsure of.
    Chris Jennings FHP

On the laptop tray

I might not even bother with the tray since I love my crane stand but who knows, it seems to sit low but that might work out, not having to carry another piece of gear is nice and I can throw the x1's on it

Alternatively I can keep the laptop on the stand to the side and keep the x1's on the tray, that might be nice

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post

If you already own Scratch you get the upgrade to Scratch 2 for $79. If you're wondering if you can play timecode through the S4 with old Traktor Scratch that I'm unsure of.
    So s4 users get a free copy to pro 2 but you have to upgrade again to scratch? Thats annoying if true, it basically means I don't get shit free since it would be 79 to upgrade to t2 from TSP anyway

So s4 users get a free copy to pro 2 but you have to upgrade again to scratch? Thats annoying if true, it basically means I don't get shit free since it would be 79 to upgrade to t2 from TSP anyway
    From here
    http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...pro/?page=2008

* If you own the S4 AND a digital vinyl system from NI (TRAKTOR SCRATCH, TRAKTOR SCRATCH DUO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO), you will receive a free SCRATCH UPGRADE.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Wizard

I am in the situation where I just got my s4 in and am trying to learn all there is to know about it. I also have an x1 that I want to put to use. The link posted above looks like a good mapping, are there other mappings people use that they like with an s4 and x1 combo?

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMark View Post
    I am in the situation where I just got my s4 in and am trying to learn all there is to know about it. I also have an x1 that I want to put to use. The link posted above looks like a good mapping, are there other mappings people use that they like with an s4 and x1 combo?
    +1

I just want to know what to do with the 16 lower buttons on each x1 with the s4. I got some good ideas on the encoders but I still don't know what would make more sense. I would think a lot of people would be using one or two X1s with the S4 and I wonder why I'm not seeing many mappings.

Tech Mentor

you could port the MIDI Fighter mappings to the buttons and use the buttons next to the kbons to re-trigger and mute the samples
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast